oops. what happens when a door is bent back waaaay too far!

My wife took my red 89 16V c900 3-door out the other day and managed to reverse it with the door open into the bullbar of a 4wd, wrenching the door of my car back and ruining the door mount, etc. at the bottom of the A-pillar! She claims she put her foot on the go peddle instead of the stop peddle, and her brain must have farted to not realise what was wrong. 8-) Oh well nobody was hurt - just the car which I'd renewed insurance and rego on only a few weeks ago. Just as well!

Pics are here:

Had it assessed by my insurer today and they think it can be repaired so the car's off to my Saab workshop (Saab Serve in North Parramatta) ASAP to get the repairs organised and started...

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Thats not so nice.

Pieter "Craig's Saab C900 Site" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@lios.apana.org.au...

Reply to
pieter

maybe you might want to consider welding the doors shut and make her enter and exit via window. just like they do on nascar racing. rod

Reply to
Rod H

Isn't that what the sun-roof is for?

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

Sorry to hear that Craig... But it happens to the best of us. = Yes, it happened to me too ... :(

My 900 still has the dent in the front wing and a skewed door that is noisy above 100 km/h. Believe me, you feel REALLY stupid afterwards...

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

No it's not. But at least I have full insurance on the car, otherwise I'd be paying a lot more than a simple A$500 insurance excess to get the car repaired!

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

No sun-roof on the car. But that idea sort of reminds me of the Dukes of Hazard cars which always seemed to have the doors stuck shut.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Reply to
Rod H

No sun roof. :-)

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

Not sure about the Dukes car and why they always did that, but racers often weld the doors shut for safety in the crude stock car business. the only way in or out is then through the window.

Reply to
still me

Oops, a lot of damage. Door (naturally), door pillar, front wing, bonnet. It's a question of the wife or the car...

Reply to
johannes

Of course, with the door open you can't see in the door mirror! Did a similar thing with the door slight ajar. There was little space, so my gate caught the black door list (9000) and pushed it forward into the door mount. But luckily, there were no scratches, only the door list was twisted. Got a new list online.

Reply to
johannes

He he sadly I don't think I'm permitted by L.A.W. (tm) to make that call.

8-)

Car went to the repair shop that Saab Serve uses here in Sydney on Monday so I should hear from the during next week with news on what's happened. The insurance company is apparently not going to write off the car. Yet.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

I would be interested in what your insurance company does. to me it looks like the damage is more then what the car would be worth. at least if you were to ask insurance companys in the u.s.a. i can understand you wanting damage repaired. but still i would like to hear how you make out.

rod

Reply to
Rod H

I was thinking the same thing - with all the damage to and aaround the bottom of the a-pillar, that's a really major repair job. I haven't heard back from the smash repairer yet but I am betting NRMA will want to the care repaired even if the quoted repair cost is as little as $50 off the write-off value...

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site