Overheated / Change the Oil? 93 Turbo

I just had my 2001 93 SE in for 50K service and a new DI unit (yes i manged to hit my 4 years in November so this wasnt covered).

The technician must have had to move the cable to the fan during installation and neglected to lock it tightly.

Not until I pulled off the highway into town did I notice it overheating and pulled to a stop, steam released and I lost maybe a quart of coolant. I let it cool and nursed the car home with the heat on full blast and windows down (it was 85 degrees out that day).

I had the oil changed the day before but a friend told me that if I overheated I should change my oil and filter as the heat would break down the oil.

My dealer says not to worry...that I didn't overheat terribly and that I don't need to change the oil right after this mishap. I feel that as a precaution, they ought to do it anyway.

Question is, am I being paranoid without reason. Does anyone know if a brief overheating of the engine can cause breakdown of a sump of brand new oil?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom that I might take back to the dealer/mechanics.

/ 2001 93 SE

Reply to
brianh

It really depends. If the oil is fully synthetic, then unless it /really/ overheated, you won't have damaged the oil at all.

But if it overheated /that/ much, then you have a lot more to worry about - head gasket for a start.

Personally I wouldn't change the oil. Also, I wouldn't drive a car that's overheating (except old, knackered bangers that I don't care about).

Reply to
Grunff

Yup and a warped head not just a head gasket.

Agreed.

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Modern oils have a pretty high breakdown temp. I'd be more concerned to get some agreement in writing on either your service history or in a letter that they accept causing the problem. It might put you in a better position if there's a subsequent head, gasket or ring failure. Hope it's all ok. Cheers

Reply to
hippo