Oxygen sensor problem

My 1994 9000 CSE has problems idling and accelerating after the engine gets hot. After it cools down, no problem. I has the same problem on my previous

900S and it was traced to the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold. My questions: (A) Is there a way to check if the sensor is functioning properly? (B) is it possible to clean or renew the sensor? (C) if replacing, I heard that other makes of O2 sensors work just fine at a much lower price? Any help is appreciated.

LeonB.

1988 900 S 1990 900 S 1994 9000 CSE
Reply to
LeonB

If it's of any interest, I recently bought the Haynes Electronic Fault Diagnosis Manual. I don't recall the details but there's plenty of information in there on testing each component.

I bought it to diagnose the engine fault light on my wifes Volvo. Was pleasantly surprised to find a nice little connector on that one complete with test button, flylead and LED. :)

I can dig out the details if it can wait a few days, i'm away from it at the moment but I figure someone else will post some useful info first.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yep, sounds like it could be a bad O2 sensor.

Yes. Backprobe the connector from the O2 sensor and watch the signal it sends to the ECU. It should be a fluctuating voltage of between 0 and 1.2 volts if all is well. If there is no fluctuation or it is very slow then all is not well.

No.

Don't bother. Shop ariound for a Bosch replacement. The difference is not worth the chance.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.