Oy !!!!!!! Where's Me Turbo ??????

I just took delivery (via Ebay) of a '93 9000 CSE turbo On Registration Certificate it stated "9000 CSE TURBO" But, on getting it home,and looking more closely at it, i couldnt for the life of me see any turbo "box" attached. This may sound stupid, but - what am i looking for?

Tia Teleman

Reply to
Teleman

Yes, it does sound stupid if you don't mind. Follow the exhaust pipes and you should arrive at something looking like an old fashioned hair dryer in front of the engine.

If it says "9000 CSE TURBO" on the registration, it's most certainly a turbo. However, it could be a LPT (Light Pressure Turbo) version.

Reply to
Johannes

Between the engine and the radiator. Look down. You should see the exhaust manifold and intake pipes. Follow the manifold down. are there two small metal drums/discs that look a bit like hairdryers as Johannes said? That would be your turbo.

If all the pipes just join into one pipe and disappear under the car, it isn't a turbo.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I have to ask - given that it's clear you don't know what a turbo looks like, what exactly were you looking closely for?

Reply to
Grunff

Heh. Teleman - love your music, by the way ;) - go to images.google.com and search for: garrett turbo

You'll see pictures of the beastie in question that way. It's on the exhaust manifold, before the header pipe (uses the flow to spin the turbo), and the cold side of the turbo is in the intake air stream, using that spinning to compress the incoming air. It's plumbed between the air filter and the intercooler, on the "cold" side.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Nitpicking: If it's an UK 1993 9000 CSE LPT, then it's unlikely to have the intercooler. Instead, the turbo pressure limit is slightly higher.

Reply to
Johannes

Does it have a boost gauge on the dashboard?? I believe there are 2 types of 9000.. the low pressure turbo (lpt like I've got) and the all-singing, all-dancing high pressure turbo (which I want)... A lot of people describe the lpt version on eBay as "turbo" ...

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Yeah - it appears i got the lpt version, as there is no gauge on dash, like you say. The discrepancy came about when i looked at user manual, ans saw i had no such dial. Not thati WANTED a turbo - just curious was all

Thanks to all for replies

Teleman

Reply to
Teleman

I also have a 1993 9000 with 2.0 lpt and am very happy with this engine. It is smooth and has no noticeable turbo lag. Insurance is lower. Registration documents states "9000 CSE TURBO", so it's correct to call it "turbo".

Reply to
Johannes

That's cos it is a turbo, it's a low pressure turbo, there will be a (previously described) hairdryer type do-da between the engine and the radiator.

I know with my 9000 FPT that when I went for an "enthusiastic" drive at night, if I popped the bonnet (hood) as soon as I pulled up the turbo was glowing a loverly red hot colour! Not sure if this works with the LPT, but worth a go? :-)

Al

Reply to
Al

"Teleman" wrote in news:42ebcb4c$0$1216$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

LPT is a good engine. Less turbo lag than the full turbo, particularly at lower speeds, and my 1995 9000 LPT had much better gas mileage than the 900 full turbo I've got now.

Reply to
Laura K

Reply to
Saab Guy

How do you find the performance difference compared to the old T16 C900

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar