Painting my SAAB - Taking votes

I'm going to paint my dull and dingy C900 this summer. I'd like to take a vote as to what color I should paint this beast. It was an edwardian grey at one time long ago, but would like to go different. The interior is a beige cloth. If you have a vote, and would like to share, that would be great. Pictures of a vehicle painted this color would be awesome, or just a shot of the color would work as well.

Thanks a ton guys!

-LC

Reply to
LC

Nasty Bob

A nice metallic black :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

A dignified color choice in an undignified time. My personal choice and current issue too. SAAB always seems to look better in black tie.

However, when the moon is full and the jar is empty, I have always though that it would be a total hoot to actually chrome a SAAB 900 and mirror the windows to match. Then - recess the grill completely flat with retractable lights like an old Charger. But then, there just doesn't seem any way to chrome the roof, pillars and rear quarters to match.

They claim that some of the new paints are *pretty close* - but not really the full monty from what I've seen. That said - an all mirror C900T blowing by you on the highway at night would really be a show stopper given the shape and stance.

I wonder how they pull it off on passenger airliners? Is that actually polished aluminium skin and if so, how to they keep it so clean?

Reply to
Dexter J

Dexter J,

Hello again! Are you enjoying the Saab videos I've made available in an earlier post above?

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

Hey SaabGuy.

Nope - I'm afraid I am sort of in stasis on this machine right now as regards drivers. Bookmarked the link for future reference though. Last year or the year before - a chap put together some really great video of his C900 doing slalom in the UK. Homemade, but great stuff with really good tunes mixed in for flavour.

Can't for the life of me find it on my drive (went looking when you asked)

- but if you search through alt.autos.saab on google - you might be able to track it down. Make a nice addition if you are collecting private stuff.

Cheers.

Reply to
Dexter J

Dexter J,

There is a lot of private videos out there, so this collection I am gatheri= ng is just official from Saab and anything else that is very closely relate= d such as the Trollh=E4tten Tourist Video that has a lot of Saab footage in= it.=20

What other videos do you have?

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

"Dexter J" wrote

Sounds cool. I think the plains are clear coated over polished aluminum. It makes for a lot lighter plane without all the layers of paint in-between (thus a fuel savings).

Stephen B.

Reply to
Stephen B.

I think a metallic is a must for a great vehicle.

Mind you - have you seen those *mica* filled paints ?

I like the silvery golds myself. I owned a couple of Vauxhall ( GM - UK ) Cavaliers with a great colour that wasn't *quite* silver or gold but had a hint of gold and tended to 'adopt' the colour of its' surroundings. Rather nice. Everyone agreed it was a way cool colour. My neighbour called it 'oyster' IIRC.

Does that appeal ? I can offer the GM UK paint code if you like. There are actually 2 similar colours - one with a hint more gold than the other - but they both have the same trick of being chameleon-like.

It goes well with beige interiors too btw !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Stephen B,

Did you enjoy the videos I posted above yet?

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

It's polished aluminum skin, gotta be coated with something to keep it from oxidizing.

Reply to
James Sweet

James,

What do you think about the Saab videos yet? Have you looked at the ones I posted above yet? I got nearly 61 of them up for all of us to enjoy.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

earlier post above?

No - I'm pissed off with you arrogant top-posting actually !

I doubt many ppl here will be interested in you for long on account of your attitude.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

So you can't even conjugate verbs properly either !

Can't say I'm surprised !

Are you a *paid* troll ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Clearly American Airlines have the recipe !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

My current car is white (Saab's Cirrus White colour!), but today I finally figured out (doh!) that the rust eating into the hood just back from the front lip is coming from inside the pressed metal fold just above where the sprung hood latch attaches... grrr. so I might replace it with the hood that is in almost perfect condition on my donor car which is metallic blue. It'll match the interior of the car which is what I'd call 'steel blue' and gray.

Next move is get some funky seat covers. The old sheepskin ones are gawjus to sit on but they're quite worn and really make the car look sad inside.

8-)

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Not wanting to be accused of being a top-poster.... 8-)

If you have videos feature C900's, do they exist on a seperate page that I could link to somewhere? Otherwise, I'd be interested in archiving video files featuring C900's and making them available from the gallery section of my main C900 website at "

". So farI'm building up a collection of pics from various places (including selectedones of my own), but adding C900 vidoes to the mix would be a good additionI think.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

pretty good. That is painted steel not polished ali. And this stuf (ChromeFX) isn't just sprayable on metal.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Something needs correction here.

It'd be best to tend to your own poor grammar before chiding others for theirs (in reference to your post of 5/3 @ 1:48 AM in reply to 'Saab Guy').

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Hey there Skodapilot!! Long time no chat. How's every little thing on your side of the pond?

Oh man - I don't care what the purists say - that BMW (aside from being a brand I don't personally like) is pretty keen looking. I don't get the 'illegal' traffic on the thread though. I know it is illegal to tint your windows in such a way that the authorities can't see in and/or you can't safely see out - but - how can a paint scheme be illegal?

As to actual coatings, it looks like about $1,500 - $2,000 for the paint kit to cover a SAAB. This isn't all that far out these days if you look at some of the more serious custom paint out there.

Wish I could see the machine in the flesh - if my old BSA tank was anything to go by, you would seriously need to shade the machine in the sun because it would start collecting heat pretty fast. Not a huge problem where I live up here in Canada - in fact the surface would probably be a bonus come mid-January here.

Thanks, as always, for the trick links brother. What I wouldn't give for the free time and extra cash to actually do this to my Aero.

Reply to
Dexter J