PLEASE HELP!! 9K HANDBRAKE ADJUSTMENT

OK - So I've seen the advice - undo / remove 14mm hex bolt on rear of caliper and put 4mm allan key in to adjust handbrake.

Problem - where is this mythical 14mm hex thing? Is it a bolt? Will I find a

4mm allan key hole if I remove this bolt?? Haynes manual no picutre, no use.

Please someone help. I'm waiting with my car in the drive, with rear wheels removed. it's raining, I'm covered in grease and really fed up.

Thanks

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Round the back of the caliper.

Yes, sort of. It's a short bolt, but the purpose it serves here is as a cover for the adjuster.

Yes.

True.

Didn't have a problem first time I did mine :-)

Time for a beer I'd say.

Let us know if you find it.

Reply to
Grunff

OK - thanks very much for your help. Still having trouble locating this 14mm bolt / cover. It's not easy to see what I'm doing. I can see 2 rubbery tube things with caps.. thought I might find a bolt in there but no luck. I can see where the handbrake cable comes in (looks a bit like a bicycle break) and the arm that moves when when you pull the cable. Still can't see this 14mm bolt. Could you be bothered to give a really detailed description of exactly where it is .. in the middle / top / bottom.. just beside the cable / break pipe / whatever?? That beer's starting to look good.

Reply to
Speedypancake

It's on the inner face of the caliper - the face that faces the other caliper. So the two bolt heads on the left caliper and the right caliper pint towards the centre line of the car. You really can't miss it - it's right there, and it's the only 14mm bolt on the caliper.

Jack up the car and support it well, and get your head round there with a good torch. You will see it. It's much better to do things this way than to fumble around in the dark.

Reply to
Grunff

Hey Grunff

Million thanks for all your help. Finally located what I believe to be the nut in question. It's not 14mm though.. more like 10.5mm. Not sure now where I got the 14mm measurement from now.. maybe a previous post. Maybe Saab changed the spec (mine's an old '92 model). Whatever, following your description it's the only nut I can see on the rear of the caliper that faces inwards.

Of course me being me, I don't have the exact size of socket, and the bolt is all corroded and stuck fast. So I've performed my usual trick of grunting, skinning knuckles, rounding-off the head and attacking it with a hammer and a screw driver. Still won't budge and the rain's getting worse so I've given up for now.

But at least I know the theory now. And there's rugby on the telly this afternoon. And I did manage to get the top off that beer. Wish I could buy you one for your trouble.

Thanks again Mark PS - sorry about the weird name / alias changing. I normally do all this from Outlook, but it hasn't worked with news posts since I "upgraded" to XP SP2 ;)

Reply to
Speedypancake

Grunff spake the truth I reckon. Have a look here too - it may help

Pidgeonpost

Yup, looks just like a bolt on the back of the caliper. I thought it was 13mm, but it's been a while since I had that one off.

Hang in there, no need to get nasty about it. Oh, wait.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hey Dave! Thanks for dropping in. Latest is I found the bolt but couldn't budge it and rain / rugby / beer stopped play.

Having problems with my Outlook / Newsgroup posting since I installed XP SP2 so you might be seeing posts out of sync?? (am sending these via google / groups in the meantime).

Pleasure to chat to you as always Mark

Reply to
Speedypancake

That's a very useful link and as they say "a picture paints a thousands words"....

Cheers PS - Appologies but due to a technical fault, my posting seems to be all over the place at the moment.

Mark

Reply to
Speedypancake

Well at least with all the grease the rain should roll right off... ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound

How does one go from being a "Nasty Bob" to a "Mark"?

Reply to
Malt_Hound

How does one go from being a "Nasty Bob" to a "Mark"?

Ask Bill Gates. This message is brought to you via google news groups courtesy of Windows XP SP2 "upgrade" :(

Reply to
Speedypancake