position steering wheel 9000

Must the steering wheel (the horizontal part in the middle) have to be exactly horizontal (with the dashboard) when driving straight?

Reply to
Wido van Krieken

Depends if the steering wheel is on straight.

Reply to
Grunff

I mean when driving straight for a while (steady).

"Grunff" schreef >> Must the steering wheel (the horizontal part in the middle) have to be

Reply to
Wido van Krieken

Yes, it should be horizontal at that time. If it's not, then something either got bent, or you have a low tire, or someone took the wheel off and put it back on in the wrong place. Deciding which is which would be:

  1. Check and fix inflation pressures of your front tires
  2. See if the car "pulls" to one side or the other with no hands on the wheel, on a straight and level road.

If it pulls, you have an alignment problem. If it doesn't pull, then you can probably just take the steering wheel off, and put it back on straight. But, if it changed, it changed for a reason. Something is probably bent.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No, depending of what the repair history is the garage maight have made an incorrect adjustment once. It happened to me on a C900 where the steering wheel was accidentally set incorrectly after a repair at the dealer. They asked me if I could live with it or wait until the next day and have the error corrected. I tried living with it and after one day it didn't bother me at all, actually it was more comfortable for my left arm!.

Reply to
th

No, but it was when it came off the production line... Sometime in its history the alignment has been adjusted by someone who did not put the steering wheel in the straight ahead position first, before doing the alignment on the tie rod ends, like after putting on new ones.

(Zie ook

of
)

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '91 900i 16

MH

This is one of the most common (and irritating) flaws in alignment practice.

And, it's even against the law not to put it straight when doing the alignment; it fails the legal test of alignment, then. That's how so many alignment outlets are so willing to refund your money if they can't satisfy you with it...

Reply to
Valjean

Had this problem for a long while on my 9000 and thought that nothing could be done. Then I got it corrected and the call felt much nicer to drive.

Reply to
Johannes

Ideally, yes. Road camber may / will affect the position though. Drive shaft wear also affects it - as I once discovered when I had just one driveshaft replaced after an 'incident' in which someone tried to kill me by 'not looking'. Up to that time - the 'straight ahead' position had been fine. Mind you the chassis might have been distorted too ! Wish I had pics of the car after the event ! Looked like someone had taken a lump hammer to the entire offside of the car. Repair bill came to > 50% of the vehicle value !

I suspect tyre wear affects it too. More recently my 9000 required a little left lock to run straight. After replacing the mismatched front tyres it required the opposite !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I've experienced the tire wear effect on alignment, on front-to-back rotation, even!

Reply to
Valjean