Possible Tranny problem

Hi,

Wife has a 2000 9-3 automatic 2.0l with 45000 miles on it. The transmission seems to be slipping when taking off from a stand still. There is a jolt about 1 second after the engine starts to wind up.

I found a suggestion after doing a search in this newsgroup, I will check the fluid level tonight. I just had it serviced at 30k, so I can't imagine that being the problem. Any other things I can do so I don't have to pay $195.00 to the SAAB "experts" to troubleshoot it?

Out of 3 GM vehicles I've had, (if the tranny is going out), this will make the 3rd tranny I've had to replace. Goddamn GM products.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig Christian

Not just GM products, the Classic Saab turbos with automatics had problems due to the power of the engine. That is why most of the older Saabs on the road are manual transmissions. Complaints about the GM Saabs concerning electrical components might be due to the use of GM parts, to save money . . .

Reply to
ma_twain

Actually, not just the autos. I have a '89 900S (original owner, and it is a beauty inside, outside and mechanically) with 150k miles and I am on my third 5-speed transmission. Fortunately, SAAB provided the second one for free at 45,000 (it was off warranty, so I do admire SAAB for picking up the tab).

Reply to
Mark

Does it get worse when the car has been in traffic (i.e. hot) for a while?

I had a 1990 9000i and needed two transmission overhauls. I think that the boxes are particularly vulnerable to accelerated wear due to overheating.

Mailto: snipped-for-privacy@nicf.demon - dot - co dot- uk

Reply to
ffflick

No, it behaves the same regardless of running time or temperature. I think we've decided to trade it in. She wants a MINI.

No more SAABs, or any other GM product for that matter.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig Christian

The mini is amazingly fun, but don't get the automatic! (you probably weren't anyway) Unless things have been fixed recently, the CVT in the MINI is really buggy. I had an '03 model that would stall on me in traffic and bunnyhop along (like car wasn't producing enough power for the selected gear ratios) when going 8-12mph. Made it no fun to drive in stop&go traffic & eventually traded it in .... for a Saab. :)

Hans

Reply to
Hans L