problem with electrical system?

I've got a fluctuation in the output of my alternator but I'm not sure if it's outside the normal range. Car is a 1997 9000 Aero. I noticed that sometimes, as I'm driving down the road, the headlights will dim then go bright again. So I paid attention to the indicator for the alternator. The output seems to change constantly, with a low in the 13.5 range and a high of 14.1. Most of the time it seems to bounce between 13.8 and 13.9. As expected, higher rpms give higher alternator readings but even on the open road, in 5th gear with rpms around 2000, I'll see that fluctuation in voltage. I'm certainly going to check for tightness of the belts but I have not heard any telltale squealing, as I'd expect from a loose belt. Am I seeing the early stages of alternator or regulator failure? Thanks. Michael

Reply to
mdb