Puddle in rear footwell '92 9000 CS

1992 9000 CS (114k miles), UK Spec.

Hi all, After several weeks of bad misting up, I discovered (a week ago now) a puddle in the rear left footwell.

I've dried it out with a combination of sponge and fan heater but no idea where the water came in.

Facts are:

  1. Also less severe damp under rear seat on same side - (probably wicking up from the puddle via carpet)
  2. Puddle seemed to be clear water - not coolant.
  3. No water marks on the head lining.
  4. No evidence of water in boot (trunk).
  5. No damp in either of the front footwells, or in rear footwell on the other side.
  6. No apparent damage to door seals.
  7. I don't recall leaving a door or roof open in the recent past.
  8. Tissue stuffed up rear heating duct on that side has stayed dry (thus far)
  9. Partial lifting of carpet and good feel underneath has not (yet) revealed an obvious hole.
  10. Glass granules under carpet indicates accident damage during previous ownership.
  11. Puddle has not (yet) re-formed since drying out (about 4 days now).
  12. It has rained since drying out, but the car has not been driven in really wet conditions again yet.

This all suggests to me a leak in the floorpan. Could date back as far as November 23rd when I drove through some pretty big puddles when visiting my sister in the wilds of Berkshire.

Anyone else had this? Is this model prone to taking in rain/puddle water? Any ideas where I might start looking?

Any help much appreciated Adrian Hampshire

Reply to
SAABurger

I had water collecting in the front footwell of a Toyota Celica and it took me _months_ to figure out that, in heavy rain, the sunroof leaked a tiny trickle of water that ran across to the door (still inside the sunroof), found it's way into the channel that presses over the join around the door to make it look presentable (what _is_ that called?) and tricked down it to the bottom where it then ran down into the footwell. It only happened enough to be noticeable in persistent heavy rain.

Do you have a sunroof??

HTH, Steve = : ^ )

SAABurger said:

Reply to
Steve B.

Reply to
ma_twain

I had an experience that sounds just like yours in my 92 900S. It turned out to be the window seal on the left rear wing that would leak only under heavy rains (or the right car wash).

Regards,

John Marietta, GA

1992 900S
Reply to
janders

All, Thanks for your suggestions. A few things there I might not have thought of for myself.

Good news is that the pudle has not reformed despite a couple of downpours.

I think it's time to re-lay the carpet. It was a real pig to extricate from around the safety belt stalks under the back seat and will be even worse to get back, and my poor back hurts most of the time just as a regular thing ......!*&@*!

Adrian

Reply to
SAABurger