Radiator Fan - help/question

Hi, I have a saab 1999 93 2.0 injection non turbo, non air conditioned, which recently burst the main coolant pipe which was weathered. I've replaced this and have since been worried that the radiator fan may not coming on when it should.

When should the radiator fan come on. Normal operating temperature is halfway up the temperture gauge. So I guess it should not come on as long as it stays around this. How far up does the temperture needle need to go before the fan should kick in?

I've checked the fuses and relays and all seem fine. I've cleaned and dried the connector going to the radiator fan. After a drive i noticed the fan was not on so i opened the bonnet and moved the wires about a little. I left it for a few seconds and the fan then came on, for about 1 minute, but i wasn't sure if it just kicked in or if it was a loose connection. This is one of the few times i have ever seen the fan on. So the fan itself does function. Does it sound like a problem? I'm quite concerned in case the engine overheats and screws up the head gasket.

I'm trying to rule things out - There is some sort of sensor mounted on the front of the car just below the grill and in front of the radiator? It's made by siemens and about the size of a 50 cent (euro) coin, What is this? Is it related to the fan functionig?

Hope somebody can help - Thanks for the help in advance.

Reply to
timmy

The radiator fan should go on and off even at normal operating temperature, especially in summer or urban traffic. I had a similar problem on an old 9000 quite some time ago. AFAIR it was some malfunctioning relay, but I don't know anything more specific. Take a look at the relays, maybe you notice something suspicious.

Reply to
Marco Senft

I confirmed that the relay was working correctly by changing it with the relay for the full beams, which is of the same type. Both seemed to be working fine. So as far as I can determine it doesn't appear to be the fault of the relay.

Any other suggestions welcome from people who have had a similar experience.

Marco Senft wrote:

Reply to
timmy

That isn't the fan temp sensor, it might be an external air temp sensor.

A thermo switch controls the fan. They get old and work intermittently or not at all. Trace the fan motor wire back to it. The thermo switch screws into the radiator tank (where it senses the water temperature).

Reply to
ShazWozza

There is a sensor in the expansion bottle which holds the water. do you think that this sounds like it. There doesn't seem to be any other sensor in the radiator. Is this the same sensor that sends the temperature to the temperature gauge in the cabin? As the temperature gauge in the car seems to be working fine.

ShazWozza wrote:

Reply to
timmy

The sensor in the water bottle senses low coolant level. It is not the thermo switch.

In my car (an '89 turbo) , the thermoswitch is on the left hand side of the radiator (when you are standing facing the front of the car). It screws into the black plastic not into the metal part of the radiator.

No.

As it should.

I think it is best if you visit one of the Saab enthusiast sites on the web, you'll probably find a picture of it there. Then the penny will drop.

Reply to
ShazWozza

I live in very hot area and my experience has been that the fan rarely operates. The only time I've noticed it operating for many years is occasionally when coming into the garage on an especially hot day and then only for a minute or less. In a cooler climate you could possibly go for years without the fan ever operating.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Thanks ShazWozza I'll take a look this evening and see if i can spot it on the radiator.

ShazWozza wrote:

Reply to
timmy

I'm in Australia and in my classic 900's, the radiator fan(s) operates often and regularly during 'normal' driving, but of course out on an open freeway there's much more airflow so it won't come on as often or at all.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site