radio cutting out in my 1995 900SE turbo convertible.

Hi all,

Something strange has started happening tonight, and has me a little worried.

I've noticed that sometimes the radio, and all its lights, goes out all of a sudden, but then comes back. The station is still programmed. A week ago I had to re-enter the four digist security code a couple of times when I would get in the car in the morning.

One thing I noticed was that while the radio lights go out, the DTE mileage on the unit stays lit, so I have to assume its not the battery over all.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what did you do to resolve it?

Later,

Robert

Reply to
Robert Marshall

No, but I'd guess you have a loose wire/connector or fuse. Do you know how to pull the radio out ?

Reply to
-Bob-

This happened to a friend of mine's 9-5. The problem seemed particularly acute when turning corners (I didn't believe him either until he showed me).

Anyway...

The dealer nicely took the radio out and removed the 10c piece that his 3 year old daughter had posted into it.

It was moving around inside (especially on corners) causing an intermittent short.

don

Reply to
dcm

So you're saying the 10c piece went into the radio, or got stuck coming from the top of the dash? I'm having problems figuring out how a coin got into the radio.

On a side note, I've dropped coins into the hand break slot. I wonder if something is shorting out by the ignition switch, and if it was, would that cause the same problem? (I'm still mystified that Saab puts the key in the middle of the floor, rather than on the dash like every other car maker that I've ever looked at. :-)

Robert

Reply to
Robert Marshall

It's for safety.

Would you rather have the key out of the way in the console, or right infront of the soft tissue above and below the knee cap in the even of a frontal collision? Makes sense, happens rarely but when it does you will be glad of any extra "Safety thought" that saab put in.

Also in these days of car jacking, and stuff, it stops someone reaching through an open window, and grabbing your keys before you can close it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I've seen it twice in a dozen years as an EMT (in non-Saab cars obviously). Not fun. It's also an anti-theft measure, and an ergonomic one. Anti-theft, because locking the gearshift is much more direct when the key is right next to it, and the "grouping of similar controls" is an ergonomic thing - your hand isn't flailing around a bunch of different places; you get in, put on your seatbelt, take off the parking brake, turn on the key, and put it into gear, all in the same area of the controls. Like so many Saab things, there aer multiple good reasons for doing things the way they are. I think my favorite multi-purpose Saab-ism is on the Sonett - the strut which goes between the tops of the front spring towers, is also a hollow pipe and acts as the radiator expansion tank.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

His daughter "posted" the coin in via the CD slot and somehow it worked itself down behind the front panel.

I was too busy laughing at him to seriously investigate the engineering behind this. The dealer was pretty nice about it however...

dcm

particularly

Reply to
dcm

I've only been driving a couple of years, but the closest I've gotten to when you describe was a mountainbike incident I had.

crossing a small wet log slowly, I realised I wouldn't clear it, so i pedalled forward a touch.

The tyre spun on the wet log, and twisted the rear of the bike to left, driving me forward to the right. Heading off track the front wheel shot into a raher deep badger hole, swallowing it completley.

All my weight was thrown forward, and the cycle computer on the handlebars wedged under my kneecap from below, without breaking the skin. Then my foot disconnected from the clip on pedal, so left with one foot clipped in, the other foot dangling, both hand holding up my weight on the bars, I had to bend then straighten the leg,a nd the computer (about the same size, but half the thickness of a Zippo lighter shot forward, and I never found it.

No lasting damage, and after about 15 mins of walking it off, and some redness/tenderness I was able to cycle the 25 miles home.

Didn't put a computer back on the bars though.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo