Re: '86 900 starter problem/questions

I've got an '86 Saab 900, normally aspirated. In the last week,

> 3 times now, the starter has failed to turn over the engine when I > turn the key. First time, I let it sit for a few minutes and tried > again, and it fired right up. Second time, I was able to roll-start it > (I parked on a hill) and it started right up, no hesitation at all. > So, I don't think it's a battery issue. Third time is this morning and > it's resting comfortably in front of the garage, waiting for me to come > home.

I would not rule out a battery problem. The easiest way to confirm this is to try starting the car with a good battery. If it starts with the good battery , but not with the one in the car - then you have your answer. Just beware, you may have multiple electrical problem.

> So, I don't think it's a battery issue, or it wouldn't have push-started > so easily, right? or, not? I'm getting the relay "click" and the fuel > pump does come on for the second or so, so I think that means my ignition > switch is OK, yes? > > What I think this leaves as a possibility is the solenoid on the starter > itself. Does this sound logical? If so, is the H-engine starter the > same as the B-engine starter? Those, I have a few of, the H-engine type > of course I don't. > > Thanks for any suggestions, > Dave Hinz > >
Reply to
ma_twain

The good news, is it's still doing it so hopefully it's gone from intermittant to persistant. _Much_ easier to fix a persistant problem. I'll try jumping it first, just to rule that out. Next, I'll check the control wire to the solenoid (terminal #30), the Bentley manual says if I've got more than 8V there when the key is in the start position, the wiring and switch are good. So, from there, it's just a case of which side of the system the problem is on.

If anything photographable goes on, I'll take and post pictures with descriptions.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Try doing a parasitic drain test. There is a good link to info about this and other tests that can be done on the primary electrical system on the Swedish Wrench website at:

That page is also linked from the Technical Library page on my C900 Workshop website at "
". When I first got my 1983 900S, I had a starting problem when I traced to the light in the boot (ie.trunk) being left on and this drained the battery to the point where it would turn a couple of time but not enough for the ignition to fire.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's C900 Site