Re: '86 900 starter problem/questions

> I've got an '86 Saab 900, normally aspirated. In the last week,

>> 3 times now, the starter has failed to turn over the engine when I >> turn the key. First time, I let it sit for a few minutes and tried >> again, and it fired right up. Second time, I was able to roll-start it >> (I parked on a hill) and it started right up, no hesitation at all. >> So, I don't think it's a battery issue. Third time is this morning and >> it's resting comfortably in front of the garage, waiting for me to come >> home. >> >> So, I don't think it's a battery issue, or it wouldn't have push-started >> so easily, right? > > Or the ignition switch?

Not sure yet.

> or, not? I'm getting the relay "click" and the fuel >> pump does come on for the second or so, so I think that means my ignition >> switch is OK, yes? > > The last 'sprung' portion of ignition switch travel just engages the > solenoid - are you saying the solenoid clicks every time?

_something_ clicks. It's not a "clunk" or a "clack" though, just a relay-sounding click and then the fuel pump hum. So switch maybe?

> What I think this leaves as a possibility is the solenoid on the starter >> itself. Does this sound logical? > > It does; it's either that or the ignition switch.

Which is less of a PITA to check?

> If so, is the H-engine starter the >> same as the B-engine starter? Those, I have a few of, the H-engine type >> of course I don't. > > Hmm, good question. They are similar, that's for sure - but whether they > are the same I'm afraid I can't remember.

I'll report my findings here, of course.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Put a volt meter on the small solenoid wire. Does it get 12V when the ignition switch is turned on?

Reply to
Grunff

That sounds like the best plan, not sure if it'll happen tonight or not (fire department meeting night...)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz