Re: How not to post on usenet

> I was out for a day of boating... and as I was waiting for some friends > in the parking lot at the boat ramp... I heard a big commotion and > decided to have a look. Luckily I had my camera-phone with me and I > snapped some pictures of what happened. It seems the battery went dead > on his jet-ski, so he turn around nose first and the Volvo's wheels > locked up at the bottom of the ramp (which was covered in Algae). I > wouldn't want to be him, and I'm happy it was that _other_ brand of > sweedish car ;). > > -- > -Chris > > 1994 Saab 9000CSE Turbo > 2001 Saab 9-3SE (parent's) > 1994 Saab 900SE V6 (*RIP*) > 1987 Saab 9000S (*RIP*) > >

[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

I'm using a special non-binary news server text.news.ntlworld.com, where images are not allowed. This is more efficient than a binary news server. Hence I'll now get into trouble with my ISP for downloading your post!

Reply to
Johannes

Oh come on- it won't be you that gets in trouble.

The OP shouldn't have posted binary files here though. My ISP simply deletes them along with the entire post so I can't even see what it's all about.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Well, if everybody picks pebbles from the beach, there will be no pebbles left...

Reply to
Johannes

Actually, no. It's not about your newsserver - _any_ newsgroup without the word "binaries" in the title is for text, not binaries. News servers are usually set up with a much larger queue for the binary newsgroups, because the news spool gets _HUGE_. So, putting binaries into a text newsgroup displaces many text messages from that server.

If someone wants a place to upload pictures, drop me an email and I'll set it up.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That may be so, but when I complained to my ISP that their news server news.tesco.net was very slow, they told me that I could use an alternative server text.news.ntlworld.com, and that this was to be used for text only.

Reply to
Johannes

Yes, but you won't get grief for reading a message with binaries in. All it means is, tesco are at fault. If they run a text only server, they are responsible for auto deleting messages or attachment (their choice) that contain binaries. If their server is listed as text only but still manages to all the propagation of binary messages, that is their lookout, not yours.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Sure there will. They just won't be at the beach anymore.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

The system architect in me wants to point out that you haven't destroyed the beach, you've made redundant offsite archives of it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Exactly. Which reminds me... Why do all the eco-greenie-weenies get all worked up about "wasting" water? When you "use" water it generally doesn't go away. It's just goes somewhere else.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

That is indeed true. The common water leakage from mains of about 35% supports the ground. Without leakage, the ground dries out and you get subsidence. The possible wastage is energy wastage for extra pumping.

Reply to
Johannes