Re: Looking at ~2000 9-3 -- comments?

'nuther Bob wrote:

>> Later 9~3 *SE*. You get all the luxury items, all the sport, >> all the power you need (although a little short of the Viggen). > >? I thought the SE and base model had the same engine &etc.

Depends on the specific year, I believe. Country too, actually. Since yo said "Viggen", I am assuming you're in the USA.

The base has >a few less bells & whistles, like the auto climate control, but I wouldn't >miss that much.

One feature of the climate control is avoiding an issue where the heater controls eventually stick. The other features make the drive much more enjoyable, IMHO. It won't cost you much more to buy and the bells and whistles are nice.

>Gary
Reply to
'nuther Bob

Yes. And I'm looking at a 2000. Is there a difference between "S" and "base model" ? I thought this was a base, but now looking at the dealer's website it says it's an S.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Let's start with (USA) engines:

1995-1998.5 - 150HP S model; 185HP SE model. also V-6 available. 1999 - 185HP turbo; SE model gets 200HP; Viggen gets 225HP. 2000/2001 - 185HP turbo; SE model gets 205HP; Viggen gets 230HP. 2002 - no base model; SE model gets 205HP; Viggen gets 230HP.

I don't believe that there is an "S" model in 2000. Just, base, SE, Viggen. The "S" designation used to be (in the USA) a non-turbo

2.3L. Sometimes it had lots of goodies, sometimes not.

While I hesitate to recommend the following site since the owner is known for his attitude ('nuff said), you can find lots of the original Sales brochure information on the models and options there:

Are you in the MA area by any chance ? I know a good source for recent off-lease Saabs if you are.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Aha. So the SE has more oomph in addition to extra toys. Not what the salesdroid told me, but waddayaexpect.

Probably just a goof in entering their website info.

No, I'm in Colorado. A bit far to go for a test-drive. :-) Any idea what they ask for 2000-2001 5-dr 5-spd 9-3 SE's?

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Is this middle armrest for the back seat?

I have heard that > >

Reply to
ma_twain

Not that I know of. I believe the emphasis is on remaining in proper control of the vehicle. Maybe they sneaked a new law in past me. (I have been driving cars in the UK since early 1975.)

As a driver, I have never found central armrests to be of much use, even when doing long distances such as trans-USA. This may just be down to my style. Modern cars, with centrally situated important controls (gearchange, handbrake &c) make the armrest an awkward compromise, ergonomically. IMHO.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Actually, gearchange and handbrake can easily be accommodated along with an armrest. Saab also stuff all the window and other switches in there, which makes it harder. Not my favorite feature in terms of comfort, but safer when driving (only the right hand ever has to be removed to shift or control the vehicle. )

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

No, this is an armrest attached the right side of the drivers seat. Without it, there is no place to rest your elbow. Generally, if I'm just cruising the highway, I rest my elbows on the armrests, but keep both hands on the wheel, just not at 10 & 2.

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Solochek

You wouldn't be done for dangerous driving unless the driving was actually dangerous.

Failing to maintain proper control of the vehicle would be the offence but again, the officers would have to prove that you were not in proper control of the vehicle.

You might recall a couple of cases, one which was very public in the press where the driver in question was taken to court for failing to maintain proper control of the vehicle because she was eating a chocolate bar. The car was stationary at traffic lights at the time.

Precisely what is the problem with steering with your knees anyway? You'll notice that the police officer calling in the offence will probably be using one hand because the other will be on the radio...

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I got one off auction, from the guy Bob is referring to. 2000 9-3 SE w/

60k miles for $11k. After taxes, registrati> 'nuther Bob wrote:
Reply to
Joe Gugliemino