Re: Poor Workmanship

I think you'll find that it's very common - I know many people who've been ripped off in exactly the same way. Not saying all garages are like this, or even the majority, but a sizeable percentage certainly are.

This is one of the reasons I do all my own car work - that and the fact that I enjoy it.

Reply to
Grunff

That's probably why I go to the Saab dealer (if I can't fix it myself). There are good independents out there, but which ones?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

If the owner wins his case I will name the garage in question, Regards Tom. >

Sounds like the AA nominated Cowboys. If the case is won, I would be happy to hear who avoid. That all sounds very nasty, that any garage would have the brass neck to charge for deliberatley damaging a car.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Just to show how paranoid I am, I've actually marked most components in the engine compartment.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

You trust them??

Reply to
Grunff

Not by default, but I've used them for 6 years now and they've often been very helpful. But it's quite a balancing act; you want to appear firm but not obnoxious. One one occasion they had used a repaired resistor pack rather than a new replacement; it didn't last. Next time my car went in I didn't blew up a storm, but left the duff resistor pack on the seat to let them know that I wasn't born yesterday...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Did you know that it is dealer policy to sell you as much of its product and labour it can get away with? The showroom makes little money as margins on sales are squeezed to the bone, They make up for it in the workshop and on parts. I have just looked at a gm 900 that a lady took to a SAAB dealer in London that told her that her car needed 4 discs and front and rear pads and possibly a pair of front callipers to cure brake squeal. Total cost £800.00 plus vat. Cured it with a good clean and some copperslip, Total cost £30.00.

Reply to
Saabtech

[...]

Sure, but you get a feeling for which ones are expensive, which ones are good. I wouldn't go to a dealer in London.

But these things are easily checked, both by visual inspection and because you know the mileage of the current parts. Bill seems expensive though. If workmanship is poor on top of that, then that's a double whammy.

Quite.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

I'm not sure if is much different here in the states, but while the dealer charges and arm and a leg for their work, I usually have the feeling that they did it right, and that they knew what they were doing (and how to do it). I tried using a couple indie garages when i broke down - one coudn't even find the problem ("i think its the computer"), and the second garage did such a shoddy job (but legally they did it), i had the dealer 'fix' the repair next oil change.

The dealer i go to, however, is out in the middle of nowhere, so i suppose they have to do things well to keep people coming back. But its worth the extra trip time. I'll pay the premium to have it done right the first time.

Reply to
Brenden Conte