Re: Vintage SAAB Quiz: What's wrong with this picture?

I didn't continue looking after the first wrong thing -- the url.

> The tinyurl entity is *evil* and I will never follow any of their > suspect links. > >| Hide your affiliate URLs >| >| Are you posting something that you don't want people to know what the >| URL is because it might give away that it's an affiliate link. Then you >| can enter a URL into TinyURL, and your affiliate link will be hidden >| from the visitor, only the tinyurl.com address and the ending address >| will be visible to your visitors. > > Why should anyone trust these urls after reading this text on tinyurl.com?

Because some people aren't overly paranoid? Long URLs are a hassle, especially in email and newsgroups where things can be wrapped unpredictably. Having a nice short URL is convenient because I can copy it from my text-only news reader and paste it to my browser without worrying about line breaks messing things up.

Please post plain links so we can have a fair chance of pre-judging the > contents of the link destination.

Shane Almeida

copy/paste works equally well with a character, or a line.

A URL is pretty easy to recognize wrap in, and to reconstruct.

Or, wrap it and that works too. Or let people fix wrap if their newsreader causes it; this won't be new to them.

Goran's point about it being used to hide affiliate links is valid. Someone I know well and trust, such as Paul, I don't worry about that from. Some random link from some random person? Nope, I'll pass. And if it _is_ an affiliate link or the message smells spammy, I'll investigate and report. Amazon, in particular, really really doesn't like affiliates who spam, for instance.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

True, but I hate having to copy and paste repeatedly, switching back and forth between my web browser and ssh session. In addition, IMHO email and usenet articles should contain lines of no more than 80 characters anyway.

Perhaps a good compromise would be to provide both the original URL and a shortened version, and let the reader decide which to use.

John

Reply to
John B

Yup, or just know that there's a real and valid reason people don't trust them from unknown sources.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Shane Almeida at snipped-for-privacy@spam.is.evil.mindless.com wrote on 16/03/2005 22:20:

Please post plain links ... Please don't post long links ... Please post both ...

Well, what am I to do?

Anyway, back to the point in hand since that's obviously going nowhere. What's wrong with the picture in the link that Shane has kindly reposted in full (hopefully it's not wrapped badly for some of your newsreaders, since it is a long link) ... Should I repost his return e-mail address without the

*evil* bits? Or is that just pedantic?

Well, I can see four things wrong with the picture, so lets get talking SAABs, eh?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article BE5E7D07.13883% snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk, Paul Halliday at snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 17/03/2005 00:17:

Sorry ... That spleen venting wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. My apologies if I offended any of you. I was actually smiling when I typed it, but it doesn't read that way!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Long links aren't really a problem to anyone with even a partial clue, in my opinion. tinyurl's aren't a problem when they're from a trusted person (you, for example), again, in my opinion.

How'd I do?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I agree with being troubled by tinyURLs being the only link posted.

As I have demonstrated it helps to bracket the URL with corresponding characters, in most cases this will defeat wordwrap.

Best to post both if you can be bothered.

Thx for the link in the 1st place though, TBerk