Re: Why is the supply of E85 fuel so tightly controlled?

Saab C900 Viggenist wrote:

> [...]

Still seems bizarre. I wasn't sure but on the face of it the whole situation does look like it's 'rigged' to suit certain outcomes.

Currently ethanol blended fuels attract the same excise as petrol >(38.143¢ a litre). Local ethanol producers, of which there are >several, are paid a subsidy of 38.143¢ a litre (which effectively >offsets the fuel excise component). There have also been substantial >GovCo grants towards the cost of setting up ethanol manufacturing >facilities.

I know about the grants for the manufacturing facilities, I didn't know there was an 'offset' payment going to the ethanol producers though. I wonder what 'creative' way the government is using to recover that money back from taxpayers? I also wonder if other parts of the world (esp. the USA) are getting as wound-up about ethanol fuels as is happening here?

What would be really interesting is the gauge the effect in Europe, because in Europe diesel vehicles are a lot more common and there would be a lot less rural land with a climate suitable for growing crops to produce ethanol for vehicle fuel production. Here in Australia and in the US there is loads of space (currently) to commercially farm crops for ethanol production, though what will happen when ethanol fuels really do become more mainstream is what'll be interesting to watch also.

The downside for the consumer (apart from the cost of the grants and >subsidy) is the energy content of ethanol, which is around 40% lower >then petrol... 27MJ/kg vs 43MJ/kg (note that these figures are based >on mass, not volume). All other things being equal (octane ratings, >etc) fuel consumption is directly proportional to energy content. >Hence E85 has around 30% lower energy content than petrol and you'd >therefore expect to use 30% more under the same operating conditions. >To provide the same value it needs to be 30% cheaper than petrol. >(Apart from what GovCo hands out from our taxes.)

I was aware the chemical nature of ethanol meant that there would be poorer fuel economy measured purely on a litre per 100 km basis compared to conventional hydrocarbon fuels.

I suppose the vehicle manufacturers will try to develop ways to improve the energy 'extraction' from engines designed specifically to run on fuels like E85 so that any price offsets are offset further by fuel economy savings. Not sure if Saab itself has been doing much in this regard since GM tends to put the lid on anything controversial (as do Ford - witness the 'before their time' electric vehicles that each company tries to deny ever existed) that will upset other industries that GM depends on for the indirect revenue sources into the automotive manufacturing industry as a whole.

The same comparison (based on energy content) also applies to E10, >which almost never provides the same value as petrol.

Yep noticed this first-hand, and I think people are being duped because the pricing of E10 is a little cheaper than the same octane-rated conventional petrol so they believe they're getting better value.

Craig.

Reply to
Saab C900 Viggenist

so what vacant areas are there in Australia that can be used for ethanol production (remembering that our ethanol is sourced as a waste by-product and not as a dedicated crop like the proponents in the US are advocating) Just because we have a lot of land not used for cropping does not mean it is viable for cropping, quite a lot of our land is far too poor to use for anything other than saltbush and scrubby vegetation.

Reply to
Atheist Chaplain