Rear Crank Seal

I've been told I need to replace my rear crank seal. It's on a 1993

9000 2.3 Auto, 199,000 miles.

It's one of 4 leaks, but seems to be the worst. My mechanic has said he can replace it working through the offside wheel arch. Does this sound possible? Any idea how difficult this is?

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Carter

If by 'offside' you mean the right front (sitting in the car looking forward - we have both LHD and RHD cars on this list and this can be confusing), then you also mean the front main seal not rear. If so: Yes, it is not that bad a job. You remove the fender liner, serpentine belt and crank pulley and you have access. Make sure that he replaces the oil pump o-ring as well. I do not know if your block is am early or a late, but the early ones have a series of bolts holding the oil pump housing on and the later ones have a large circlip.

If you truly mean the rear main seal (between the engine and transmission), you have to drop the transmission to get to it. This is best done when you replace the clutch on a 5sp. On an Auto, this should be done when the auto tranny is removed for major service. It is a BIG job.

KeithG

Mark Carter wrote:

Reply to
KeithG