rear door child lock problem

89 9000s

One of the rear doors seems to have engaged a child safety lock and will not open with the key or from the inside.

I have seen someone manage to go through a sequence that disengages the lock, but cannot seem to duplicate it correctly.

Any suggestions

TIA

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy

"Jeremy" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@dcnet2000.com...

Aaaahhhh, the childlock function isn't done by key, but by a switch on the door itself.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

On mine I could never open one of the doors from the inside, even after fiddling with the switch...

Reply to
Chris

most cars that have a rear childproof locks can be controlled on the drivers panel locking them til changed.you might want to check this out. Saab switches and door panels remove easily following steps in repair manual. You can check the different parts and find the problem.

Reply to
Spellbound

This door will not open from in or out.

JJ

Reply to
Jeremy

The wire (or whatever) that connects the door handles to the latch may be broken or slipped off the track or otherwise damaged. You'd have to take the inside part of the door off and see if you can manually trip the latch or fix the wire.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

Assuming it is the same as my '91 9000, then you can remove the inside door liner/skin/card whatever its called with the door shut. Once the internals of the door are accessible, you can reach in to the lock & open it manually.

I had a similar problem. It turned out I had 2 issues - one of the link rods had seemingly stretched over the years, and did not manage to trip the lock any more, but also on inspection of the lock itself the on/off for the childlock was worn and no longer working. ISTR fabricating something involving a small nut & bolt, but it was a while back!

Anyway, strip the inside of the door off, pull the rods, and if necessary remove the lock mechanism. Take it from there - it is relatively simple once you can see things clearly!

HTH Jools

Reply to
Jools