RECALL 300,000 cars...9-5s and 9-3s (old style)

Due to the DI-Cassette problems...

- tex

Reply to
Tex

I don't think the SAAB division will be able to absorb a $75 million loss. That should just about finish them off...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Doubtful...these sorts of things are generally covered by insurance. While not good for their premiums, it's certainly not enough to kill them off.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

"Malt_Hound" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Rubbish. Besides, all the DI-modules should be usefull again, as soon as the component in question is changed.

Reply to
Henrik B.

There's not a lot you can repair on a DI (IDM "cassette" according to the article), and even if it is repairable it is probably not economically feasable to replace a faulty 0.05 component. I think all the replaced units will be scrapped.

Reply to
MH

IGBTs are hardly $0.05 components !

Anyway, aren't the internals fully epoxied ? There's no way to fix something made that way.

Are the DI cassettes mentioned less reliable than before ? Can't help wondering if it was a GM inspired cost-cutting exercise.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That's true, but the manufacturing cost of a DI unit is probably a small fraction of the sales price, and the faulty component in the DI unit may only cost 0.05 (in whatever currency)

Exactly, so the ones that are replaced will be scrapped, faulty or not.

Reply to
MH

What about the failures of other DI cassettes?

My 99 9-5 failed about 6 months ago, my neighbor's same model failed last week.

Is that not the same cassette that was used in the 2000? Why not us?

Reply to
Bill Jackson

Exactly! My 99 9-5 V6 required a new DI about a year ago.

Reply to
Steven Stern

[snip]

Not far off

If Farnell do them for GBP 0.44 at 100 up, you can bet GM will be able to buy them a lot cheaper.

I've seen encapsulated electronics re-worked before. It's not pretty, but it is possible if you're set up for it.

My guess is they'd still scrap the electronics and save the (very expensive looking) cases though. They probably only cost about 50 quid each to make anyway. The 75 million figure is no doubt based on retail cost.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

In August of this year my 02 9-3 had a DI failure. No warning, just died, and I was in a shitty part of town. My car is still under warranty so they replaced the ignition cassett and spark plugs. Now with this recall will something else have to be done? My car is due for a service soon so I would like to get this sorted out.

Thanks, MJ

Reply to
MJ