received my low-cost C900 - trying to work out what's wrong.

Well I finally received the cheap, unregistered C900 I bought a while back and the engine doesn't run, as stated on the Ebay listing page for it:

I dropped in a battery and it will crank over fine (so the starter motor is ok), but once it fires it dies again and will not idle. Most of the time it backfires (or appears to) with a pulse of what looks like partially burnt fuel/air mixture coming from somewhere around the intake manifold.

What I plan to do is:

- replace the engine oil as what's in the sump is very thin and appears to have fuel mixed with it (!) by the consistency and smell,

- replace the fuel and oil filters,

- maybe remove and clean the injectors.

The fuel tank was empty when the car was delivered so I put about 10 litres of fuel in which should be enough to get fuel into the engine if the fuel injection system is working right.

I don't think doing much more than those basic things will be worth the time or expense since I haven't paid much for the car (A$225 for the car and A$400 to transport it from Brisbane to Sydney), and if the engine really is going to be too costly to repair the car can just be a donor for bits to fix up my other C900 (which is working).

Still, the second C900 has a 5 spd manual transmission so if the engine can be fixed up the car will at least be drivable and that means it could then be put through an inspection for getting it registered (which would increase it's value, but maybe not by much).

So my journey continues...

Regards,

Craig.

-- Craig Ian Dewick ( snipped-for-privacy@lios.apana.org.au).

APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP). Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world Have you exported a crypto system today? Do your bit to undermine the NSA.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick

Fuel. Air. Spark. Check 'em all. I would start off by replacing:

  1. Spark plugs
  2. Plug leads
  3. Distributor cap & rotor
  4. All vacuum lines. There is a diagram on the driver's side wheel well under the hood showing where all the vacuum lines are. You may want to crimp off or plug the one that leads to the vacuum reservoir bottle and on to the climate control selector inside the car as it will eliminate the possiblity of one of the 8 or so vacuum lines inside the car being leaky.
  5. Air filter
  6. Fuel filter
  7. Oil filter & change the oil.

You can test the injectors, it's pretty straightforward: Remove the lockdown plate between each pair of injectors and remove the injectors intact, two pairs. Put them into a shallow pan on top of the engine. Now remove the rubber bellows on top of the air filter assembly. Remove the fuel pump relay from the fuse box. Jumper the top and bottom pin looking down on the fuse box from the drivers' side of the car. This will run the fuel pump continuously. Now grab the 12mm bolt head in the middle of the silver plate that sits on top of the air cleaner with a pair of channel lock pliers. Slowly raise it. Fuel should begin to spray out of the injectors. Slowly lower it; don't drop it suddenly or it may damage the fuel distributor, one of the more costly things you could damage on a C900 engine. It's pretty obviouis when your injectors are clogged, poor atomization.

Good luck.

My bet is a vacuum leak for an engine that won't idle. Once you get it running set the timing and lambda pulse ratio. You might think about replacing the oxygen sensor if the car is so equipped.

APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA SydneyPOP).

Reply to
David Spear