Regarding Saab purchase of 9-5

Hi there, I'm new to this group so bare with me. I'm looking into purchasing a Saab 9-5 from model years 2000 to 2003. I was wondering if there are any problems I should know about? Any quality issues? Are they expensive to repair? Are parts readily available? Are the dealerships relatively helpful? Are parts expensive? Are their any quality issues I should be aware of? I am considering either the Saab 9-5 or Volvo S60, and it seems that the Saab gives me more for the money. And it has a slightly more unique set of lines, ones I find myself appreciating more than I do of those found on the S60. I'm living in Toronto, Canada. Any help would be appreciated. Also, would it be unwise to take ownership of a Saab 9-5 Aero? Or are they too rough riding for most road conditions? Thanks for anyone's help.

Reply to
ezra

Check out the "9-5 buyers guide" on the Saabscene forum.

This has been a very helpful site for me.

Craig

Reply to
C Sats

We just purchased a 2003 9-5 wagon and love it. We got rid of our 1996 Volvo 850 GLT wagon with only 155,000 miles on it. We loved the ride but the same parts kept breaking over and over (5 blower motors, 4 interlock switches, the back assembly broke 3 times, and the door hinges kept cracking). We were really disappointed and found out that many other Volvo owners have gone through the same thing. So unless Volvo starts guaranteeing their parts (as Ford as done), then they can eliminate us from their customer list.

And yes, you are right, after reading the 1.5" thick owner's manual, we feel that the SAAB is a better value for the money.

Reply to
Paula Sims

How about the Aero cars? Any bad news on them?

Reply to
ezra

ezra wrote: :: How about the Aero cars? Any bad news on them?

Nope, they're as durable as the "regular" models. Personally I don't find the ride in the Aero unpleasant. One thing i really, really liked about the Aero are the brakes! They're simply amazing! Was doing almost 200 km/h on the highway and had to decrease the speed. The brakes has GREAT bite - immediately. Very easy to doze and as mentioned has "GREAT bite".

The Aero is deff. the most fun you can get in a Saab. The Estate looks like a family car, but runs like a bat out of.......well, you know. The 2,3-liter engine is the best Engine Saab has ever built. :o)

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it!! Now all I need to do is find a good example of a blue 9-5 Aero. Ciao!

Reply to
ezra

I've got a 2000 9-5 Aero. I purchased the 9-5 Aero over the Volvo S80 and the Audi A6. Turns out that it was the best way to go. The overall build quality of the Saab is the highest in its class, and the repairs are considerably lower than the Volvo and Audi (comparing prices to my buddies who have those respective cars). Plus, no one has a 9-5, making it much more unique on the road. The Saab definitely gives you more for the money.

As for getting an Aero... If you are a sports-minded person, really into hard, precision cornering, passing cars with ease, relatively rough ride, then by all means go for the Aero. It really is a classy sports sedan. Try and do the same things on a base 9-5, Linear, Arc, etc., and you will find that you can't do the same things.

Good luck.

-ME

Reply to
Marc Escuro

None whatsoever....unless you think a never-ending smile plastered on your mouth a drawback.

Believe me... When you start blowing away people with cars on the road that

*think* can outrun you... You'll never stop smiling. That and you get incredible fuel economy.

-ME

Reply to
Marc Escuro

Aero's look downright mean in black or red. :-)

-ME

Reply to
Marc Escuro