Remove Power Steering Belt, '85 900?

I just can't afford to replace the parts, (Estimate $400). No Air Cond. If I should NOT cut off the belt, please advise me! Thank you.

Reply to
Opqursurfer

What parts can't you afford to replace?

Why cut the belt, when you can simply replace it?

Please provide more info.

Reply to
Grunff

I drove a Volvo with out power steering for two years, no problem. I am trying to not pay for towing, the rack, fluid, labor, and whatever else is needed. the belt is fine, the pump, maybe. Thanks for replies.

Reply to
Opqursurfer

Perhaps you could describe the symptoms?

Reply to
Grunff

It's not the power steering that you will be missing... It's the water pump. You cannot run the engine more than a few minutes without the belt or it will overheat.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W

You won't want to drive it without that pump.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I agree strongly with Dave here.... with engine switched off I can not turn the wheels with the steering wheel. Maybe if you remove all fluid from the system, but even then I doubt it is a good idea.

My engine used to stall sometimes while driving... never experienced so much horror in my life!

Richard.

'89 900i

Reply to
OKOK!

I sincerely thank those who took the time to reply. My mechanic took a look, then cut the belt. It did not overheat. There is no fluid in the system. I am fairly strong, If the car is rolling slightly, steering is not difficult, though parallel parking requires a bit of effort. I am reminded (please no offense meant), of the saying "free advice is worth every cent," or something like that.

Reply to
Opqursurfer

OK, well good luck if you ever get into an accident and have to explain why you are driving a car that you chose to make dangerously less manouverable. You might also want to consider how the rack will be getting lubrication (hint: it won't) from here on, and how long that might last.

But by all means, feel free to drive it that way, 80 bucks is 80 bucks, y'know?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Your mechanic is an idiot.

The seals in the rack will harden, and friction will increase. It will continue to be usable, but will get heavier.

The PS pump and rack on a c900 are extremely simple - the rack is a 40 year old GM design, and the pump is a very simple vane pump. Apart from leaks, and worn balljoints, nothing else ever fails on them. I suspect yours could have been fixed for very little money/effort.

That is offensive - nonetheless, I assure you that you won't be receiving any free advice from me next time.

Reply to
Grunff

Yup, sounds like this guy needs to go read this article; "How to ask questions the smart way", by Rick Moen and Eric Steven Raymond

...particularly the section "on not reacting like a loser".

Strangely enough (or not), the people who most need this advice won't learn from the article, and those who already learned it (sometimes the hard way) find it to be a great compilation of net.wisdom

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I am reminded (please no

Yup, sounds like this guy needs to go read this article; "How to ask questions the smart way", by Rick Moen and Eric Steven Raymond

...particularly the section "on not reacting like a loser".

Strangely enough (or not), the people who most need this advice won't learn from the article, and those who already learned it (sometimes the hard way) find it to be a great compilation of net.wisdom

Dave Hinz>>

Well said Dave and Grunff... although think how much petrol he'll save by applying the same logic when his sparkplugs wear out.... Cheers

Reply to
hippo