Removing Steering wheel with an airbag on '90 900

Does anyone know the procedure for removing the airbag-equipped steering wheel on a 1990 Saab 900. The manual just says to let the dealer do it because of the safety issues. I need to repair my speedometer and cannot access it without pulling the steering wheel. I realize that you have to be really careful so you don't accidently set off the airbag and hurt yourself. Has anyone ever done this? David N. in California

Reply to
Studecom

You need to disconnect the battery at least an hour before you disconnect the airbag. When I did this I left it disconnected overnight, no bangs.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for the information. Do you need to disconnect any wiring under the dash to disable the airbag or do you simply remove the cover from the steering wheel and disconnect the bag at that point after removing the battery for at least an hour? Thanks! David

Reply to
Studecom

That's what I did - disconnect the airbag under the cover.

Reply to
Grunff

Actually, you can remove the speedometer cluster without removing the steering wheel quite easily. The trick is to remove the speaker grill, which allows you to pretty easily reach in and remove the wiring and speedo cable from the cluster. Follow the instructions in the Bentley for removing the front dash plate, etc.

I've removed the cluster from a 1990 900 (and an 88, and an 87, and an

84, and an 82, and a 78...etc etc) without ever removing the steering wheel.

lycka till! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

My manual says that you do have to pull the steering wheel to pull the gauge cluster, but I'll see what happens doing it the way you suggest! Thanks for the tips everyone! David N. in California

Reply to
Studecom