Replace the automatic transmission unit or give up

Hi,

I have a 1996 Saab 9000 ecoturbo automatic, 72,000 miles. There is a fault with the ABS - opinion generally seems to be that the front left sensor may be and in need of replacement (around UK £200 - £300 with labour?). BUT, the automatic transmission unit has packed up and must be replaced. The part would be £2,500 new, but I can get a used part for a little under £400. I'm told labour will be about £530. So, about £1,100 - £1,200 in total.

I have had the car for about 20 months, during which time I have replace the ECU (with a used part) and the AIC valve. There have been several trivial things along with the usual tyres, etc, and a new exhaust just a couple of weeks ago.

Any opinions on whether I should be giving up on it or paying the big bill? Whilst I love my Saab I'm not fixated. Also, I'm skint, and the idea of paying, say, £800 for a slightly older, lesser car is pretty appealing.

All sensible opinions very gratefully received.

By the way, anyone in or near Sussex, UK, interested in giving me a few quid for the car if I choose not to stick with it?

Cheers,

Jez

Reply to
Jez

Ok jez here we go. I have a 1992 saab conv purchased new in 92. It has been nothing but headaches since day one. Why I keep the car I just dont know. I guess it is because that damm top goes down and I love the air going through my hair. I now have 134k and have had 4 new trasmissions the last one was at 105k so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Just about everything has been replaced. The car has cost me many thousands in repairs. Why it eats up auto transmissions I dont know but it does. Also had problems with brakes,exhaust, you name it and it breakes and to this day I cant keep the ac working. I have replaced the compressor twice and now finally gave up on ac. They say saab will go forever but they forget to mention that not only are repairs frequent but very very expensive. best regards papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

Who was the quote from ?

You might want to check with Neo Brothers - I was pleasantly surprised at their prices for new Saab parts. They have salvage items. North London just off the M25.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thanks but it was Neo brothers (the price includes VAT and delivery).

Jez

Reply to
Jez

Papa. The autoboxes are known to be weak. Was the fluid ever changed between boxes breaking? That can be what kils them if they aren't serviced properly. Also, if it is a Turbo, the manual box was never really strong enough, never mind the auto. I'm surprised at the exhaust being replaced, but at 134k miles I would have expected a car to have had at least one full brake replacement (discs/pads/hoses maybe even calipers, and occasionally hard pipes too).

With AC, the reason you are losing compressors is probably lubrication. Saab 900 AC is the older R12 type, that uses a different oil and gas to a modern car. In the UK at least, R12 is totally banned to be replaced with R134. To fit R134 in an R12 system, you should use a different type of oil, you need to drain, replace the O-ring seals, replace the reciever drier, vacuum test, measure and replace the old mineral based oil with a synthetic one, fill with the correct ammount of R134. Or you can get it vacuumed, replace the oil, and add R134 and a "leakstopper".

or you can do what I did, add R314a, R49 (R134 and additive compatible blends), or RS24 (liquid industrial R12 replacement normally used for large scale regrigerated truck conversion), hope there is enough oil in (there was), weigh it carefully, pray, and use the AC regularly (at least 10 mins a montheven in winter).

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Papa -

Your having severe issues with your automatic transaxles... The autobox is typically rather reliable. I say you have been getting junk rebuilds from the same mechanic right? Just go for a good rebuild from someone reputable on the Borg-Warner T37, or hell get a used one and install it yourself.

Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr