Replaced turbo on 9-5 - still smokes

Anyone replaced turbo charger on '01 9-5 SE? For how long have you had smoke on startups after that? I put ~300 miles and it still gives a cloud of smoke when I start.

My dealer told me that after turbo replacement I'll see some smoke cause there is oil trapped in the intercooler. They told me that it might take for up to 4000 miles to get all that oil out. Sounds not very realistic to me. Any experience with that?

Reply to
KP

You know, if you ask me, the dealer chain has done more harm to the SAAB brand than anything the board room jockey's at GM Corp. ever could. I luv my local sales guy and parts counter staff - but the service manager(s) seem to be from another planet and all seem to come up with the same sort of nonsense when I still took my car there for work.

No - your car should not be smoking at start up unless they didn't clean out the inter cooler and throttle body and it probably isn't that anyway - bet you have a lot of oil in the exhaust system if it really let go. They needed to open the exhaust behind the Cat, remove some hangers and let it gravity drain while they waited for parts.

If it is in the inter cooler - you need to get the system apart and clean it out before that much oil starts to varnish up in the system - lots of stuff in there doesn't like oil coating to any depth.

Reply to
Dexter J

Yeah, SAAB's reputation is at risk. My service manager is a nice guy, but I would doubt that there is any skilled personnel at the dealership to back him up. My experience with them is a year of constant nightmare:

07/04 took it for 60k service - diagnosed with bad turbo 09/04 got $1000 assistance from SAAB and replaced the turbo 09/04 3000 miles later the SAAB was still smoking. Diagnosed that it was PCV, replaced PCV check valve and oil trap. 11/04 2000 miles later still smokes. Diagnosed that the turbo went bad (~7000 miles, nice!), replaced it free. Since then smoke never went completely away, but it was smoking less. 5/05 I am at 77k miles and the smoke is increasing (I think that it was just warm weather though - in the winter it blue smoke was concealed by the steam coming out of the tailpipe). Took it to the dealer last week and replaced the turbo again - surprise still smokes :-)

78,000 miles - running on a 4th turbo charger including the original one! Cheap novel, huh?

Reply to
KP

I think its kinda funny how the older 9000s and 900s have just one turbo for the life of the car and that's it(if you treet it well). i know 4 people with 9-5s and 3 of them are in need of a new turbo or just got a new turbo yet my older 9000 with 175000m on it still got the original turbo.

why is that?

Reply to
es

"es" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

The turbo's aren't the problem! As you see with KP, his engine still smokes after 3 new turbo's.

I bet it's the piston-problem! The engine is simply sucking oil, when cold.

KP - How often do you change the oil? Which oil do you use and do you drive a lot of short trips?

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Henrik, I drive mostly highway miles - not too many short trips. I change oil every 5k miles with 5W30 mobile1.

I also suspect that my turbo never really caused the smoke, although I can't blame the piston's rings cause compression is within specs. Any idea what else could be causing this?

KP

Reply to
KP