Replacing struts and coil springs - Saab 9-3 '99

Hi all,

I have to replace the front coil springs on my '99 9-3. I am considering replacing the strut inserts as well, and here's the question:

Can I pair up Bilstein HD (heavy duty) strut inserts with standard OEM (white, white) coil springs?

Or do I have to go with the standard OEM struts as well?

Looking at the Bilstein HD struts, they look way more sturdy than the standard Saab stuff.

If anyone has any experience with this or other pairings of springs/strut inserts for a 9-3, I would really appreciate their thoughts.

Cheers, Ben

Reply to
Ben

yes.

But, buy the Koni's. They are externally adjustable in less than 10 minutes for all 4. You will not regret it.

FYI - it will probably cost you just as much for 2 Saab springs as it would for aftermarket lowering springs ($200/set). Something to consider....

Reply to
- Bob -

Yes you can. I installed Bilstein HD struts in a 2000 9-3 CV with stock springs. They are made for that. The Bilstein "Sport" struts require the use of shorter (lower) springs.

The car will be a bit over-dampened ( ride a bit on the harsh side) to begin with, but as they break in it will become less harsh and objectionable, or maybe you just get used to them ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input.

The bloody trouble is that the roads in Quebec are complete crap (i.e. potholes that swallow small cars) and the harsh winter takes quite a toll on them.

I'll go with the Bilstein HD and see where it goes. I prefer a stiffer ride and I figure by winter time they'll be "broken in" just right.

Fred, any particular tips on installing them, since you have already done it?

Thanks again, Ben

Reply to
Ben

Not really. If you've done suspension work before it's pretty much standard fare. You'll need spring compressors to put together the struts.

Reply to
Fred W

Trust me - Bilstein HD shocks + crappy roads = serious ass-aches. They're barely OK on a smooth road, but that's about it.

I switched to an Aero kit (Sachs shocks and lowered springs) for my 9000 because the Bilsteins were just too punishing.

Check with these guys for suspension tips:

Bob (but not THAT Bob)

Except we are talking about a GM 900 not a 9000. Yes, the Bilstein HDs are considerably firmer riding than the worn out OE struts, but not to the point of distraction.

Reply to
Fred W

Opinions on Saabnet for Bilsteins on NG900s vary the same as for 9000s - those with smooth roads like Bilstein, while those like me and the OP with crappy roads find them too harsh.

Reply to
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

Well, can't speak for those on SAABnet, but our roads in New England are far from "smooth" in many cases. But you are quite right... opinions do vary about just about everything. ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

I still don't understand why people would buy the 'steins when Koni's are fully adjustable. I've ridden steins and they are nice... but "adjustable" takes the cake IMHO.

Reply to
- Bob -

Price?

Reply to
Fred W

How much is a set of 'steins ?

Reply to
- Bob -

You can get a set for right around $400.

Best I've seen Konis is around $500

Reply to
Fred W