Resistor pack - 9000

Want to put a new diode on the resistor pack, this is the pack in the blower housing. The old diode was clamped on by a previous owner, and probably of wrong capacity. As the pack failed, I took it out and removed the diode. However, this was some time ago, and the project was put on the back burner. Stupidly, I didn't make a note of the direction of the diode. Can anybody help? The diode was connected as follows:

____DIODE_____ | | 1___|-----------------|___3 2___| R35K R81K 1R93K |___4 |-----------------|

The numbers refer to the 4 pin connector.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Still no bid on solving my resistor pack? You could always toss a coin to see which way the wind blows :-)

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Reply to
Snowman

Except it only conducts in one direction. Slight difference.

Reply to
Retro Bob

Early 9000s had a thermal cutout (bimetallic strip) that would blow the fuse and protect the resistors. My manual only goes up to 1988.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Reply to
Snowman

Oops, my plan was to fit a strong enough current diode, I didn't think about the current capacity as long as it would be sufficient. However, if it acts as some kind of fuse, then this puts another slant on it...

I had the resistor pack replaced by the garage, but it seems they didn't fit a new pack, just a repaired pack with a replacement diode clamped on, this is the one which didn't last very long. Hence I'm reluctant to fork out another 60 odd Pounds to the garage for another duff resistor pack.

The resistors in the pack are of insufficient wattage rating for the load, that's why the pack is situated in the blower housing, it's a stupid old-fashioned construction, but in common with other car manufacturers. Thanks also for other replies in the thread.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen