Rotor removal

Trying to install new front rotors on my 1997 Saab 900SE convertible but can't get the old ones off.

Tried some gentle persuasion with a hammer but no luck. Is it normal that these need a puller to pop them free? Yes, I did remove the set screw first as well as the brake caliper.

Thanks, Paul in Atlanta

Reply to
Paul Merriman

If you have removed the countersunk screw and the index screw on the rotor, it should come right off. Bang it with a heavier hammer cushioned by wood block.

Reply to
Yaofeng

Or buy a really big "gear puller" from your local cheap tools distributor. I've used one of those on stuck rotors for years. Get a grip, locate the center on the end of the axle, and apply pull. While it's doing that, _then_ hit the rotor with your dead-blow hammer. The force, combined with the hammering, is your best bet.

Oh, get a dead-blow hammer. Plastic faces, metal shot in head. Amplifies the blow without being so hard on your wheel bearings.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz