Running Lights

In my new (to me) 2000 9.5 Aero there were no driving lights when I bought it but I learned from the Owner's Manual that fuse number 35 (at least in North American models) will eliminate driving lights if it is removed. I replaced it and presto..PARKING LIGHTS... in all switch positions. I understand that this can be changed by the dealer by resetting the computer.

Will this give me true running (or driving) lights or just headlights in all switch positions.

And by the way do the fog lights always stay on with the key off?

And is the rear fog light really only one extra small red lamp on the rear on the driver side?

All minor nonsense aside, the 9.5 Aero is a very impressive machine. I am very satisfied.

The mileage is great considering the availale acceleration, the mileage is phenominal

And it runs and looks like new!

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

You can get everything you want but you have to have a dealer reprogram the computer. Be sure to tell them exactly how you want it to work. Saab's don't really have Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) as a separate feature. When you have them turned back on, you will have head/parking lights on at all times when the car is running. Most of us figure we can switch our own lights on and off so we dump the DRL's.

BTW - even if you leave the headlights in the on position with your car programmed the way it is right now, they will shut off when you shut off the car, so you can get the effect of DRL's right now simply by leaving the lights in the on position. That way you still have the ability to shut them off if you like (to sit idling with parking lights, etc). Be careful not to leave your car with the parking lights (only) on, they don't usually shut off by themselves.

Reply to
Bob

Should, but that's depending on how the tech 2 is set.

Don't think that mine do...

Yes, a high brightness lamp. There's one of them so it won't be mistaken (iirc) for a brakelamp. Volvo has the same idea.

Excellent. glad to hear you're happy with it.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

One other reason (at least for some of us) to want the ability to kill the headlamps while the engine is running: it's considered to be very impolite to approach a guard station at night with the headlights on. It makes it harder for the guards to see inside and around the cars, and thus irritates them ... not a good idea when the guards are armed with official gov'mt weapons which are *not* loaded with blanks...

And for those of us involved in astronomy, one *NEVER* drives near an active observing site with the headlights on; for anyone planning to attend a sky party changing the headlight programming to permit dousing the headlights is an absolute necessity.

Joe Morris

Reply to
Joe Morris

Most Euro-Jobbies follow that idea. At least in their original taillights lay-out. Clever thought. Not so relevant anymore since HMSL got accepted as well out here, but still... I remember some scary moments when a 5 series Bimmah in front of me decided to turn on his tail-fog lights (2 of them on the older model) in a snow storm in Germany.

Reply to
Nel Frikandel

Hmmm... you must have been following that bimmah a bit close, eh? Otherwise, why would it have mattered if he used his brakes?

Reply to
Fred W.

Just curious... where do you have "guard stations". Are these at the borders or elsewhere ?

Reply to
Bob

Military bases I would guess, never seen armed guard stations anywhere else, even at the borders.

Reply to
James Sweet

In these days, at just about any place where the gov'mt is worried.

Military bases are an obvious example; so are the gates into the operational areas at some large airports. I'm in the Washington DC area, so add to that the parking lots for numerous gov'mt buildings: not only the Capitol and the Puzzle Palace (aka "Pentagon"), but just about every other place of interest such as the Naval Observatory (where, thanks to a power play several years ago, one finds the Vice President's residence). Ditto, although without sidearms, for the parking area under the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum.

Yes, the gov'mt is paranoid, but recall the old adage that "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you."

Joe Morris

Reply to
Joe Morris

Not that close, nor too fast, I guess at 50 Km/h at that moment... However on a snow covered high-way in a hilly part of germany, is was enough to set my alarms of, and later to recognise the thought behind the later move toward having only one rear fog-light...

Reply to
Nel Frikandel

I like having two of them personally, but I make an effort not to switch them on if there's a car behind me.

Reply to
James Sweet