Running Lights

hi All,

away for some time. Sorry, but missed you.

I have purchased a 2000 Aero with 100k miles but has been beautifully maintained.

Whoever had been running it, was operating (illegally) without running lights by pulling fuse #36.I am told that I have two options:

(1) Run with parking lights

(2) Run with full head lights

and that these options are "dealer programmed".

Is there some way that I can get low level headlights--not low beam but low level and low beam or fog lights only? or some other suitable combination which is easier on the lamps and the alternator.

I am beyond warranty so I am not concerned about voiding anything.But would prefer a simple fix.

Best to all and thanks in advance.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

have purchased a 2000 9.5 HOT

Whoever had been running it, was operating (illegally) without running lights by pulling fuse #35 .

I am told that I have two options:

(1) Run with parking lights

(2) Run with full head lights

and that these options are "dealer programmed".

Is there some way that I can get low level headlights--not low beam but low level and low beam or... fog lights only? or some other suitable combination which is easier on the lamps and/or the alternator.

I am beyond warranty so I am not concerned about voiding anything.But would prefer a simple fix.

I visit my children in Ontario frequently and headlights as running lights is the only legal option there and it is only a matter of time before some cop decides to ticket me despite My US (Maryland) plates.

It appears that their law reads something like"white lights on the front at all times so that is why I suggested full time fog lights and I think that would be accepted by the local constabulary.

This is not a matter of convenience,

What are the Ontarians doing?

Best to all and thanks in advance.

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

The low level headlights come on in a Saab when you have parking lights only on. HOWEVER, they are tiny, separate light bulbs which will _not_ meet the DRL requirements in your area.

The norm in a Saab is that the DRL's are always on and that actually means that the headlights are always on along with the parking lights. Since you can get the same effect by simply turning on the headlight switch, many of us have it reprogrammed to allow for parking lights without headlights while running (as your is).

You can also have the dealer reprogram so that you can turn the fog lights on and off with any other light combination i.e. make them independent of the other lights. I think this is the step you need to take. As to whether fogs & parking lights meet the local requirements for DRL's... I have no idea. I doubt it though.

Reply to
Retro Bob

How do you know, is it published what candle power is required. Where can I determine what DRL requirements are.

The dealer programmed options are:

Either : FULL HEADLIGHTS which to me overloads the charging system and affects economy as a fraction of gas burnt around town at low speed and stop start.

Or: PARKING LIGHTS and I know that driving with parking lights on, day or night is against The Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

I would be delighted to get those little white bulbs running at all times. Perhaps I can up-size them a little.

Does anyone have any ideas. Where can I pick up a connection that is hot whenever the key is "on" and can I re-connect these bulbs.

Frankly The fog lights reprogrammed sounds good too, particularly on the highway.

And the little bulbs could be switched off.

Having both would be ideal.

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason
[snip]
[snip] Don't worry about the power consumption of the dipped beam headlights. It'll be about a tenth of the alternator's rating. It's been a long time since anyone has had to worry about alternator lifetime based on loading. The fuel consumption difference will be negligible too. In typing this post, I've probably spent enough time to run my headlights solidly for years - even at UK petrol prices!
[snip]

But front fogs are the same power as dipped-beam headlights, so you'd get no power saving by using them instead of headlights.

Surely the most sensible thing, if you want lights on in the daytime , is to leave the headlight switch in the on position and then forget it exists. Then you get dipped beam all the time the ignition is on - assuming it works the same way as my 9-3.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Those bulbs are something like 7-10watts, AFAIR. Headlights are 55w. YOu would need to check with the local or federal/provincial gov't to find out their requirements for DRLs/

Reply to
Retro Bob