S.O.S. '92 9000CS

Last couple of miles on the way home tonight I noticed a problem with my old faithful 9000CS 2li. Seems reluctant to pull in the lower gears. Kept feeling it might stall at the lights, not the normal smooth idle, but jumpy and eratic. Felt like it needed a good "fart" to sort itself out. Can't see anything tonight (it's pitch black in the driveway) and I wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

Do you think I should I risk the 40 mile journey in heavy traffic to work tomorrow? What could it be? Could it be the dreaded ECU on its way out? The car's 14years old and done 150K. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Nasty Bob

It sound like vacuum or ignition wires/rotor/coil if you are not DI as I suspect you aren't. If you were DI - then you would want to start checking your TCS valve on the firewall and DI unit itself instead of ignition wire and coil.

In either case, at that age and mileage - I'm betting it is the vacuum system and very probably somewhere behind the engine or in the Fender.

Reply to
Dexter J

AIC valve ?

My '95 CSE had similar symptoms, most noticably 'cyclic' idling between 500 and 1200. Dismantle, celan, reasseble: all fine again (but valve is a pain to get to)

Reply to
Per Laursen

What reasons do you have to suspect that the ECU is on the way out? The ECU doesn't wear in any way. Your engine need a good clean out and then more systematic debugging.

Reply to
Johannes