Saab 9-3 Strange Buzzing Sound From Lower Dash - Batter Dying

I would be very grateful if somebody may be able to shed some light on this problem I have with my Saab 9-3 (1997, Turbo, Convertible, UK model).

On a couple of occasions now my battery has completely drained after not driving my car for several days and have had to jump start it. I guess I need a new battery.

However, recently (the past week or so) I have also noticed a strange buzzing sound coming from the lower dash - essentially behind the cigarette light and heating control panel area. This sound is audible while driving and continues for and hour or so even after I have switched the engine off and removed my key.

I'm guessing that whatever this is - it is not helping my battery either! Has anybody else experienced this "buzzing" sound or have an idea what may be causing it?

I will replaced my battery, but my concern is that the sound itself could be a related problem.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

-- Shuaib

Reply to
Shuaib

Hi,

its caused by a little fan that sucks in the cabin air to check the ambient temperature, either get a can of air or maybe the vacuum cleaner you should see the circular grill air inlet by the cig lighter and see if you can dislodge any crap that may have collected, {worked for me) or maybe then fan is failing,

it would seem odd for it to run after the key has been removed, maybe you should reset the climate control system, in the owners manual, just to start with.

Colc

2002 93 Aero

Shuaib wrote:

Reply to
colc

If this is the thing ... it does run for a while after the key has been turned off. You only notice it once it gets noisy. It is a palindromic motor ... and does wear out :-)... I had it replaced at 40 GBP (9000

1997 model) and the dealer fitted it for nothing.

However, I very much doubt this is what drains your battery.

===================== Leaving problems aside, as I had a long spell with old cars (900s and others) ... try charging your battery on a slow trickle over 24 hours and see how long it lasts. IF you are talking a couple of weeks (in winter time) the battery is finished. When jump starting you must go for a really long drive else your battery won't charge anyway.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles Christacopoulos