Saab 900 (96) maintenance

Hi

This is my first post I recently bought my first saab 900s (1996) 5dr hatchback in the UK with 82k miles.

The car had full Saab service history up to 45k and has since had 2 normal services at non saab garages,

I took the car to my local saab garage and asked them to do a full service on it just to make sure everything is okay.

They only found a couple of minor things at this 66k service

A friend of mine told me to make sure to find out when the camshaft had last been replaced.

Could someone shine a light on this, when should you replace the camshaft (after how many miles) and when you have your car serviced would the saab garage pick up on this themselves or would they notify you that this should really be replaced.

Are there any other moving parts that should be replaced apart from the obvious (to me) tyres, brake blocks and motor oils.

Thanks rog

Reply to
Rogier Boeken

"Rogier Boeken" skrev i melding news:BC3B342E.5364% snipped-for-privacy@boeken.co.uk...

Why in the world would you replace the camshaft, which by the way there are

2 of? My engine has gone 325 000 km / 206000 miles without the internals being touched.

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

You don't replace the camshafts. You may well want to replace the cambelt, but it will only have one if it's a V6. You don't say if it is.

There are lots of parts that will need replacing at some point, some moving some not.

Brake pads Brake disks

Spark plugs DI cartridge

Oil Brake fluid PS fluid Auto tranny fluid

Oil filter Fuel filter Air filter

That's for starters.

Reply to
Grunff

Your friend probably asked you to find when the camshaft drive belt (aka timing belt) has last been replaced. The camshaft(s) do not normally require replacement *ever*. His advice would only apply if this is a V6 engine, which has a timing belt, not the inline 4 which has a timing chain. Timing belts are best replaced per the recommended interval (I forget, maybe

30k miles). If you do not have a record of when it was last changed, do it now. When a belt breaks it is an expensive head replacement for the bent valves that will occur.

Chains, OTOH, do not have replacement intervals. They usually last greater than 100k miles if the oil has been changed regularly and the engine has not been overheated. They usually get a bit noisey and can be identified by listening to the engine at idle.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Thanks everyone

I had the same thoughts about the camshaft as you seem to have but it is good to have this confirmed. It is a inline 4 so it has a timing chain so I won't worry about replacing this.

Thanks for all the help.

rogier

Reply to
Rogier Boeken

If it's a 4, you should have the upper idler pulley and serpentine belt replaced. In the USA, that's $80 in parts and .5 to 1 hour labor. These are know to self destruct after 45-50K miles so I would highly recommend replacement unless you are _sure_ this has already been done. If you have a clutch, your clutch cable also needs replacing around 50K miles (another small job)

Bob

Reply to
Bob