Saab 900 D reg started then died.

The car started 1st time as always, had been running a bit rough when cold.As I pulled away it died and appeared to running on 1 or 2 cylinders. I have had it examined by auto electrician states spark and fuel ok. I have changed to coil and the distributer head. but cannot suggest other reason other than timing?Does anyone have a alternate suggestion as timing involves taking the engine out!

Reply to
dickysludge

If you have been using ethanol added gasoline you may have zonked the fuel system. Check the output from each injector.

Reply to
darthpup

headgasket? If it's an 8valve as these sometimes crack heads.......

I'd try new plugs first. is it carb or injection?

Reply to
john

An exceedingly improbable explanation for this person's woes. Darthpup, why don't you just out with it, make a thread entitled "I'm opposed to use of ethanol as a fuel additive", argue it out with others who are likely to prove you incorrect, and be done with it, instead of trying to sneak it into evry thread as the lurking, omnipotent evil, cause of all ills...

Reply to
Greg Farris

Ethanol ruined the fuel distributor on my 85 900S and it will do the same to yours. Get it? Why don't you get off the list if you can't conduct yourself in a mature manner!

Reply to
darthpup

Oh bullshit. I've been using ethanol enhanced fuels for years, oddly enough, in my '85 (or is it an '86? Whatever) 900 with CIS, with no problems. Maybe you're (gasp!) oversimplifying a technical matter, yet again.

Why don't you try some actual facts instead of spouting more of your usual? All you're accomplishing is broadcasting your ignorance in the most useless way possible.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Profanity is a clear sign of immaturity, poor breeding and ignorance. If you don't like what is posted here try someplace else where you can behave like an adult.

Reply to
darthpup

in article snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, dickysludge at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 18/9/06 12:41:

I think we need a bit more information about this. Is your car carburetted or fuel injected (and turbocharged)?

What fuel pressure is the car running at? If fuel injected, have you pulled the injectors out of the head, placed them in a glass and then lifted the metering plate to check for a good spray pattern.

Are your HT leads in the right order? Remove each plug in turn and place it in the removed HT lead. Hold the plug against the cam cover and turn the car over. Check for spark on each plug.

Have you had your distributor out recently? The entire distributor, rather than just the cap, of course. When re-fitting it does fit in exactly 180 degrees out, which appears to be right, but is not ... It's 180 degrees out!

Finally, I'm not sure why the engine needs to be removed to check the timing ... It's something that can be done by pretty much any garage, along with a compression test while you've got the car there.

Come back with some answers and we'll see if we can advise further.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I was wrong to do a frontal attack! I apologize. I do believe you are in error about the chemistry of ethanol in aliphatic chains, and you are singularly categoric about its use in automotive fuel systems, where once again I believe you are mistaken - perhaps you had a bad experience with isopropanol, which is a different story.

Aside this, I do protest your "single-issue" approach - "all woes in the automotive world are due to ethanol in the fuel system. Only when this resident evil has been ruled out, may we begin to consider other issues" (hyperbole intentional). I believe this "gripe" is leading you to give impertinent and useless advice to others, who come here with legitimate questions and deserve better-qualified answers.

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

I wonder if he knows that all gas sold in the NE US is 10% ethanol based? It has been for at least two to three years...

JB

Reply to
Jeremy

Sorry, but "bullshit" is the most accurate term to describe your technical "advice".

Great. Show me a cite there, sparky, showing that E10 can harm a CIS system. You do know what a cite is, right? Hint: Fred gave you one about oils and you ignored it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

In the "corn states" of the US Midwest, it's more like "nearly all" for "more than a decade". But, oh, I'm sure he knows more about it than the world, because you know, he _said so_.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Methanol can damage fuel systems. Ethanol is inert interms of damage to components. It is also a Saab approved fuel component on the latest models.

Reply to
Elder