SAAB 900 in movie - license plate

My wife rented some movies for the weekend, one of them was 'In the = Bedroom'.=20 I did not think much of it until I noticed that one of the main = characters, 'dr Fowler', was driving a silver classic 4d 900. In one of the scenes there is a zoom in close up of the number plate of = that car+ADs- MAINE V 9875 VETERAN

What is the meaning of this plate? Does 'veteran' relate to the car - a = classic - or something else?

(FYI - 'the bedroom' in the title of this movie refers to a part of a = lobster trap)

------------------------------------------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

Fowler', was driving a silver classic 4d 900.

In the US, there are several classes of license plates.

1) the regular "everybody gets them".

2) Municipal (town/local government/state government)

3) federal government

4) dealer

5) commercial (trucks, busses, etc)

6) taxi cabs (occasionally)

7) vanity tags. (generally rather expensive)

8) Amateur radio (got one of those)

9) special interest tags: Alumni of various universities, "save the environment", "save the whales", Pro special interest, and pro special group. Veterans of various wars (vietnam war, Korean war, purple heart, etc....)

10) antique car. Limited driving only

Of course, not all of these are in every state, but they're the ones I've seen. Veteran fits right in there at #9

Harvey

- or something else?

Reply to
Harvey White

You can also get them for "Firefighter" or "EMT", but the only thing I can determine that would get me is a red plate that says one or the other, and it would cost me an extra 40 bucks a year or something.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Who determines what 'special interest' is - the DMV? Or can you make it = up yourself, like "A.A.S." or "VSAAB" ?

------------------------------------------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

I've seen them, I think.

In a number of states, the amateur radio tag is essentially a vanity tag, but because amateurs often have radio equipment in their cars that can be used for emergency purposes, the tag is either the same amount, or a small amount more than a regular tag.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

yourself, like "A.A.S." or "VSAAB" ?

Well, firefighter and EMT require a letter from the Chief of the FD, or a copy of your EMT license, respectively. Getting a new one added? No clue, but if it's even an option I have no idea how. In any case, it would vary from state to state, as it's handled at that level of government here (roughly, each Fylke would have it's own way of doing things).

I could get "VSAAB" on a ff or EMT plate if it's not taken in that category, I think.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

yourself, like "A.A.S." or "VSAAB" ?

I think that at least in Alabama, or perhaps it is Florida, that if there are enough people, (2000? 5000?) that express a desire for a plate, then they can get one. I think that in one or both of these states, the first appeal of "pro-life" plates was denied because of the numbers, the second one was approved because of numbers. However, I also suspect that there's some sort of "subject approval" going on.

This will probably vary from state to state, as long as you are willing to pay the money, you can probably get a specialty plate, given the right circumstances...

You could make up a personalized plate SAAB xxx in Alabama, I think, but it would be just that, personalized, and not an "official" group plate.

These are, .....opinions, though.

Harvey

(who is happy enough with a ham tag, since NOBODY can have that call sign in the US....) (and because it's public service, it's only a bit more....)

H.

Reply to
Harvey White

Many states also have a program by which you pay a bit more for the plate, and the money supposedly goes to a worthy cause. Here in CT we have a "Save the Sound" plate, which supposedly raises money for preservation of our coastline (Long Island Sound). Florida has a "Save the Manatees" and several other plates, including one for children in need (my parents have that one). Personally, I doubt the funds ever reach the intended destination, and probably end up in some beurocrat's wallet. James F. Hodgdon Jr. Hodgdon Scale Models

Reply to
Hdgdn

Here's a link to the full list of FL specialty tags - we've got tons these days...

Crockett