Saab 900i handbrake cable

I pulled up into th epetrol station tonight and put the handbrake on and suddenly felt it go all limp as the handbrake cable either broke, or detatched itself from its connection at one end or the other.

So a question.

Does anybody know if the handbrake cable on a 1989 Saab 900 is a difficult thing to repair, re-attach or replace? Is it a DIY job, or should I be thinking of leaving it into my local garage?

Cheers guys. Sam.

Reply to
Swampy Bogtrotter

in article HhRXg.6867$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net, Swampy Bogtrotter at snipped-for-privacy@tessco.net wrote on 13/10/2006 19:54:

DIY job, but you do need to get the back seat out and lift the carpet. The cable should thread through a tunnel to the rear calipers. Oh, yes, remove the front passenger (UK) seat, too, which will make getting to the adjustment point really easy. You'll find a plate which slides up between the passenger seat and the central housing for the handbrake cable. You adjust it there. You might be able to get in there by moving the seat all the way forwards, but removing it is easier.

Rear wheel handbrakes are easy ... I could tell you tales of the voodoo incantations necessary to cajole the older front wheel handbrake cars in behaving :)

Have you bought a Haynes manual yet? Most home mechanic procedures are detailed in there. If you do get into it, there's a more expensive Bentley workshop manual.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Okay, I'm game to give it a go....Whats the worst that can happen?

Actually, perhaps it would be best not to answer that one, LOL....

Believe it or not, that's a purchase planned for tomorrows visit to Halfords.

Reply to
Swampy Bogtrotter

It turned out that the nuts holding the cable onto the handbrake lever had come away. Thankfully, no need to pull seats out and lift carpets.

Reply to
Swampy Bogtrotter

in article MY2Zg.19874$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net, Swampy Bogtrotter at snipped-for-privacy@tessco.net wrote on 17/10/2006 12:17:

That's a good result! Nice one! Now go and pull a few J turns :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Haha, Knowing me, I'd wrap myself round a tree if I tried it....

I was dead impressed today in work (I work in motor insurance). I provided cover for a chap who's just bought a new Saab 9-3 SportWagon. I took great pleasure in turning a 10 minute call into a 45 minute friendly chat about his brand new model and my old 900.

Reply to
Swampy Bogtrotter

in article JEvZg.36154$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net, Swampy Bogtrotter at snipped-for-privacy@tessco.net wrote on 18/10/2006 20:55:

Front wheel handbrakes are great for pulling that James Bond reverse and then flip the front end around manoeuvre :) Boy, I miss that car :(

Very nice ... Most of them have no idea what a C900 is :(

It was a breath of fresh air when (with my current insurers), I was asked what model my car was an put through to someone who knew about it! We discussed modifications, future modifications, level of cover and value of the car ... Guess what? 300 quid less, better cover and double the value, with agreement to proceed with my future modifications.

Go on ... Who do you work for? Just kidding L:)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

That is nice, but I never trust insurance companies... No offence, but will you still have a 'friendly chat' when he comes with a claim or will you (/the company), try to weazle your way out of it?

Reply to
MH

This guy did, but then he was old enough to remember them.

It pays to get through to someone who knows their job. It also pays to know a good bit about how car insurance works, so you know exactly what answers will get you the best price without making your insurance invalid.

If I said that once I'd quoted him, he was very happy, would that give it away? And when they're busy and need extra staff, I sometimes strap on my rocket boots and orange coat and head off down the A47 to fly alongside peoples cars. And I also provide branded cover for a certain large car manufacturer who have a very bright orange flagship car on the market just now.

All one big company, underwriting countless of hundreds of other brands.

Reply to
Swampy Bogtrotter

I never trust any big companies

We're actually pretty good with paying out claims. The only down-side to this is that more claims tend to get resolved as at-fault, which as you know, are the type of claims that you don't want on your history. Sometimes it's better to have an ins-co who are reluctant to open their own purse strings, as it means they're more likely to keep pursuing the other party's ins-co until they pay up, resulting in a non-fault for you. You have to be patient for this to work however as it often takes a very long time to resolve, and can often look and feel like you've been abandoned by your ins-co.

Reply to
Swampy Bogtrotter