Saab 900S (1988) - Not Working: Dash Lights, Dome Light, Heated Seats

Hi everyone. It's my first time posting here, so I hope I'm going about this the right way.

I recently bought a Saab 900S (4-door) (1988) with 185k mi on it. Now that I have replaced the muffler, it is really in pretty good shape, and runs and drives very nicely. Looks cool too!! (It's black.)

The problem is that the following don't work: 1) dash lights (behind speedometer & tach), 2) the dome (interior) light, and 3) the heated seats (don't care about heated seats, but wanted to list all symptoms).

Everything else electrical works fine: warning bulbs (P-Brake, etc.), headlights, cig. lighter, radio, windows, locks, horn, turn signals, etc. The rheostat works as I can use it to dim the "Fasten Belts" sign and other center console lights.

I would like to know if there is one likely issue that is obviously causing all three symptoms? I have already looked at all the fuses, and they all look fine as far as I can see. The garage I use said they would have to charge me $80 just to inspect that kind of problem.

I hope I explained this clearly enough. I would really appreciate any advice as to how I should proceed since I would really like to get this fixed.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie, who is quite lonely driving in complete interior darkness at night :(

Reply to
snowsong1

Jamie...from memory, some of the dashboard bulbs can be replaced by removing the speaker grill and grovelling around behind the dials, though I can't remember which ones. I bet someone else in the group knows though. You may also find this and a load of other useful info here....

Cheers....

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

I have never replaced the dash lights but it seems to me that the instruments are lit from the front by two bulbs and it is very likely you can reach them from the speaker grill cover. There is quite a bit that can be done from there.

The seats are notorious for losing the heaters because the wires are thin and people kneel on the seat to reach across the car and that breaks them.

Looking at the wiring diagrams in the Bentley manual, it appears as though the instrument lights and the dome light are completely independent. The wiring diagram shows only two bulbs so my first comment seems applicable.

Happy New Year!

Charles.

Reply to
Charles

Thanks for your help, Charles! I think I will give bulb replacement a shot. I'll post the results of my attempt here ;)

Thanks, Jamie

Reply to
snowsong1

Replaced the bulbs this morning, and it's working great!! I can see at night now!! Yippee!! Thanks everyone!

Jamie

Reply to
snowsong1