Saab 93 TiD noise over 170 km/hrs.

Saab 93 TiD noise over 170 km/hrs. I've recently purchased a 2000' 93 TiD S (115 HP), which I am very satisfied with. I've never driven a car as smooth and comfortable as this one including it's luxury and performance. The car was standing still for several months when I bought it (it had some rear side damage), causing some problems initially (rusty brakes). It drives beautifully, enough torque, starting may take several (5-10) seconds in the morning, but eventually it runs ok, bit noisy at first, not an issue, some dashboard noises, no big deal. gasoil consumption seems to be a bit high (7.2 liters/100 km). It runs ok, acceleration is tremendous between 1800-3000 revs. However, when I try to test the topspeed, I have not been able to drive faster than 170! At some point over 150 there is a distinct noise/rattle coming from under the hood which does not tempt me to drive any faster. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Below 150 (which I drive 99,9% of the time) I don't have a problem with the performance of the car. regards, Ruud

Reply to
ruud

eventually it runs ok,

Compared to my own car that's pretty long, but according to the manual it may take up to 20 to 30 seconds for the car to start when it's getting colder. However if it also takes this long with an outside temperature of 10 to 15 degrees C, that's to long if you ask me. In my case my 9-3 TiD (125hp) starts better then my 9-3 2.0 used to.

Compared to my previous LPG car it is much noisier at low speeds. ( gasoil consumption seems to be a bit high (7.2 liters/100 km).

Official figures state an average of 6.2 l/100km. Remember that your right foot is a very important factor in your fuel consumption. If you use the available torque on a regular basis and do not drive long distances at constant speeds in the 120 km/h region, this figure wouldn't surprise me.

Does the engine respond and sound properly at high revs in a low gear? If it does the problem is in the drivetrain somewhere. Haven't tried mine yet either, at least I didn't go past 160 km/h. I think I have a misalignment in the front, causing the car to react to every imperfection in the roadsurface and gust of wind.

The fact that you go up there every day doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to do so.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Gerritsma

Hi Ruud

I have a similar Saab (same engine, same year) and I believe the 5 to

10 seconds of starting is related to a leak in the hose which makes excess diesel run back to the tank. It's actually not connected to the tank but to the hose which supplies diesel from the tank to the engine, hence the excess diesel doesn't have to run all the way back to the tank. The problem is that the excess-diesel-hose easily leaks. The leak is not such a problem. The fact that it sucks air is. The air gets into to hose which supplies the diesel to the engine which results in the hose draining itself into the tank when the car is not running. Hence you need to crank the engine until the supply hose is totally filled with fuel again allowing you to start. It seems that this sucking in of air is not a problem when the car is running, hence no engine hesitations when accelerating. On my 9-3tid, this problem worsened quickly so I had to have it fixed. Sadly it's a low cost hose but it is half a day of work to replace it because a lot of stuff needs to come off.

Quick test: the hose I'm talking about has a fabric (textile) cover. It starts on the front top of the engine and goes down between the engine and the radiator. Try to feel and check whether the hose feels humid.

Good luck FVB

Reply to
fvbourgo

hi,

thanks for the response.

funnily, I live in Belium too. I bought the car insisting on a 'VAB-keuring', which also came up with the leaking hose the so called 'retourleidingen injectors'. they have been replaced by the garage prior to the sale.

I have not tested the condition of the hose, but I will and contact the garage when not done properly.

regards,

ruud

Reply to
ruud