Saab 99 GL - Question re Value

Hi - wondering if anyone can give an idea of what I might get for this:

Saab 99GL in UK

1985 White 2 door 39 000 miles (this genuine! Only owners a girlfriend, then me since 1990) Good condition, runs well, MoT

Any guide much appreciated. Many thanks - sb

Reply to
sb

The bodywork is going to be the main deciding factor. How much rust there is.

Other than that, it's really a question of whether it can be viewed as a 'classic' or a 19 year old banger!

Where are you?

Reply to
Grunff

Depending on condition £500 and work down from there...

Borderline classic territory..

Reply to
Chris

Thanks both (Grunff & Chris).

As to "classic" I really have no idea - the interior (light blue) is spotless, while outside the only rust seems to be a tiny surface bit on the flange where the bonnet rests.

It's in SW London.

Hope that helps. Was the £500 on the basis it's what you call classic?

Thanks again - sb

Reply to
sb

I think your problem is going to be finding people who are actually interested in buying it - not the price itself.

I'll try and explain what I mean. I think 99s are great cars, and would quite like to take a look at yours, if only it wasn't so far away. But that's because I specifically like /99s/.

If someone is just looking for a car, a cheap car in particular, they have a huge choice. You can pick up a wide range of 6-8 year old cars in the under £1000 bracket. Most of them will be cheaper to run both in terms of fuel economy and servicing costs. So if you're just looking for a car, a 19 year old 99 is a bad choice.

At the other end of the scale, someone who really likes 99s would much prefer a turbo to a GL. I know I would. But they're very rare these days.

So in short - if you find the right person, then you can expect to get £500 or so for it. But it may take you a while.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks Grunff, very much.

Not exactly what I "wanted" to hear but you've put it nicely in perspective. It does seem silly to keep it (especially as I have two 900 turbos too, and especially as it's around £200 pA for tax and MoT) so I guess I'll put it on one of those Saab sites at around £400 and see what happens.

Couldn't even have thought about doing that without your and Chris's help, so many thanks to you both again - sb

PS are you really so far away - if you truly interested could maybe drive it some way in your direction but if you in Scotland or suchlike I agree!

Reply to
sb

You're most welcome.

I'm in Devon, so it's about 4.5-5 hrs to London. I do go to London occasionally, and will probably going in a month or so. If it's ok, I'll drop you an email to see if you still have it then.

If that isn't a valid email address, could you email me so that I have your valid address?

Reply to
Grunff

perspective.

No problem!

Enthusiasts sites are probably the best bet - I've always sold them on fairly quickly. Early cars and turbo's seem to make the most sought after, but the rugged simplicity of a late GL model can't be denied!

Reply to
Chris