Saab 9k oil pressure drop

Further to my recent post regarding the oil pressure dissapearing in my

1990 2.3NA we got round to removing the (newish) oil pump rotors and found nasty things.

There were slices of what appears to be either a pin or a needle roller cut up in the pump rotors. The slices measure 25.9mm diameter, with an overall combined length of maybe 6mm found in there , but the pin or whatever it is could have been longer. Where could such a thing have come from and how could it have got past the strainer, or is it possible to come from above?

Incidently, the engine still starts and runs fairly quietly (apart from the hydraulic tappets) - not siezed or anything yet.

Now draining the sump to see what other bits of metal might be lurking there...

Reply to
danny

as from a bearing (needle bearing?)

so if you put them together end to end the formed a circle

Do you mean solid slices like salami or rings eg. slices that look as if they have come from a tube

I can't figure out what you are seing (and my engine re-building is from the early 900s)

In my days in the army I found pison oil scraper rings broken and in the sump but their diameter is a bit bigger than 25 - 26 mm but they are thin enough to look like a very fine slice of a large tube.

I can only thing of the the sleeves of the small ends which could be around 25mm (or is it the big ends ... I knew I should have left the crankshaft in the dinning room). In full honesty I would look much nearer the pump for what you found esp. in case there were some old simms or similar in there when you did the previous job.

I notice you are a gaggia & espresso nutter too (that is where I have come accross you before). Yeap just got my classic back from repair and got a new coffee filter ... I will have to grind coffee to nanometer thickness to pull a double shot in 25sec :-)

Reply to
Charles Christacopoulos

I cannot think of anything more disheartening - sorry to hear it. Nor can I think of of a loose pin or roller bearing that size (2.5cm?) upstream from the filter. It is possible, although it would be really wierd, that something was dropped in the head the last time the cam covers were off - maybe it's part of the tensioner (although I have no idea what).

It would explain pressure drop though - must have wedged and dinged the pump blades pretty badly and I'd be looking around closely at the channels now. Surprised it didn't make a lot more noise.

Reply to
Dexter J

No, they are straight slices off a solid pin, but I was completely out with the diameter - I meant 2.9mm diameter. Sort of like a watch strap pin.

I didn't fine anything else in the sump oil apart from a small slither of what looks just like flaking paint, but aluminium.

Espresso is now my business, trying to educate Portsmouth to quality coffee (where I don't regard Starbucks as quality)...

Reply to
danny

Apologies - I mistyped the diameter - it should read 2.59mm. Does that help at all?

Reply to
danny