[Saab_c900] starter motor heatshields and some ideas

Hi everyone,

In the midst of planning the next bit of work on my white 900S, I've been hunting down heatshielding products and found a company in the US called Thermotec (at "

"). One of their products is astarter motor heatshield:
which looks like it might be a perfect solution to the problem of breaking steel heatshield plates with Saab's early 'H' series 8V engines which have the starter positioned under the exhaust manifold. It might also work for 'B' series engines as well.

Has anyone tried out something like this in place of the pressed steel plate heatshield? When my car had it's starter motor fire shortly after buying it (was nothing to do with the previous owner!), the heatshield had also failed and once the new starter was in the heatshield mount broke and shorted the power to the starter. 8-)

I haven't fitted a replacement heatshield but want to since I'm sure it's doing damage to the starter's solenoid coil, etc. over time with all the heat it gets both from the exhaust manifold and from the the block itself.

The wrap-around heatshield that Thermotec sells looks like a perfect way to overcome this and and problem of the old steel heatshield plates breaking.

I wonder though if the Thermotec product would last 20+ years though? I guess that is the unanswered question...

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site