Saab Complaint

Saab apparently doesn't know that. They equip all base 2000 9-3s with Michelins.

If this is true, then Saab is really, really at fault here, in the same sense that Ford was at fault for the faulty Firestones they put on their SUVs a few years ago.

None of the above.

No it's not. They know it, and I suspect you know it, too.

Thanks for your helpful input.

I didn't make any obvious mistakes with my tires. I've been very careful with my tires, both before my first blowout; and for the six or seven months since, leading up to my SECOND blowout.

No, my friend; these tires are defective and Saab knows it and won't make it right. Not just with me, but with thousands of other drivers of new Saab 9-3s as well, if my experience is typical.

I've learned the hard way this year that tire guarantees are not worth much. If you have a blowout, the tire mfgr can always claim "road damage" and simply deny all coverage. It is impossible for the average driver to challenge that decision in any sensible and practical way.

mb

Reply to
milt brewster

milt brewster

Laura, this is a good, helpful tip. I wind up doing this casually, every couple of weeks or so and didn't detect anything. ... it still is important to point out as a great driver-check.

Posters here newsgroup ought to report some other helpful advice like this.

*) Which tire brands work best on Saabs? *) Which tire brands do you stay away from? *) How much should a new tire cost for a Saab? My dealer charged me $275 for a replacement Michelin. *) What about wheel rims, suspension systems and the like? *) As a Saab owner, what simple checks do you perform on your tires and suspension system, and how often? *) How do you deal with your dealers and tire companies when you have a problem? Any phone numbers? What did you say to them? How did they resolve the issue? *) Are you comfortable with the Saab's resolution of your complaint?

In fact; this group should maintain a FAQ with simple, practical information like this, for Saab owners and for people looking to buy Saabs. As fat as our owners' manuals are; Saab still doesn't tell us enough about our cars.

mb

Reply to
milt brewster

Good for you. I hope your luck continues. Nobody should have two blowouts on the freeway in six months, driving a new car. Not even the people in this thread who have been frankly insulting.

Sometimes tires are not made well. Tire failures are always a safety issue, and American Tire Manufacturers are supposed to recall tire batches that do not meet manufacturing standards.

From calling around yesterday, I find that around five Michelins are experiencing blowouts out of a hundred on new small cars -- this is very high, and Michelin should recall these tires. Saab owners should know that Michelins are failing catastrophically in high numbers like this. Because it is a product safety hazard, the Saab Company (GM) should replace these tires.

I am very careful with my tires and made no obvious errors like this. I hit no potholes. This was not "road damage," as US Tire mfgrs like to claim.

Good guess, but nope. I check my tires carefully and had no reason to suspect this was going to happen.

No, and that's my point here. The Honda Civic sells for 60% of the cost of a 9-3 Saab, yet the Civic has a better safety and mechanical record -- and certainly has better customer care. While I like to drive a car that's fun, I MUST drive a car that's safe and reliable.

Saab should be purple with embarrassment that a car like the Honda Civic can outperform it.

And I meant what I said: If somebody made it easy for me, I'd trade my Saab for a comparable Japanese car this week. I need a car that is safe and reliable.

mb

Reply to
milt brewster

Your attitude is worth pointing out, because this newsgroup needs to deal constructively with complaints from time to time.

Blaming the problem on the guy who posted the issue, is not good newsgroup etiquette, and certainly sheds no light on the problem. I had a serious problem. I am not amused by it. My experience might affect you as another Saab owner, whether or not you approve of me, or the language I use (which is sensible and objective -- go back and read it again.) So Deal.

***

When I had my FIRST blowout, I was very friendly and businesslike at the Dealer. If anything, I was too friendly and compliant.

My dealer knew I had had an emergency. My car had to be towed to their garage. The dealer was curt and summarily refused to consider the tire issue, or contacting the tire manufacturer. They didn't perform a computer recall check on my car, which I now know is mandatory for them.

The dealer (B&B Saab in San Jose, CA) charged me $275 to install an original equipment replacement Michelin tire, and they took a day and a half. They also changed the oil in my car at the same time, for another $85.

mb

Reply to
milt brewster

Quit cross posting this thread to the Toyota group. No one here would have considered buying a Saab anyway.

Reply to
Mark A

In the case of Ford, the tires were deficient. As much as you might like to create a case of compensation akin to the Ford Explorer, you won't succeed as it is an entirely different situation. Michelins are sound top brand tires and no generic faults have been identified. It is most likely that your blowout case was due to damage of the tire while in use on your car, it happens to other motorists every day. So go away!

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

"> Johannes, I appreciate your posts in this group over the months.

In the case of Ford, the tires were deficient. As much as you might like to create a case of compensation akin to the Ford Explorer, you won't succeed as it is an entirely different situation. Michelins are sound top brand tires and no generic faults have been identified. It is most likely that your blowout case was due to damage of the tire while in use on your car, it happens to other motorists every day. So go away!

Reply to
Mark A

While it's clear that you're a moron, and no amount of explaining will achieve anything, I'll try again ('cause I'm nice like that).

A car is a car and a tyre is a tyre. There are no tyres that work best with particular cars (with the exception of special cases, such as offroading, track work etc.). If you knew even the basics of car suspension, this would be obvious.

There certainly are bad brands, few people would say that Michelin are one of. This has nothing to do with Saab.

What make/type?

Just one??

I crawl around under my cars once a month, carefully inspecting all suspension components and tyres for any signs of damage.

Well, thank you very much for telling us exactly what we should do, that's very kind of you - especially given that you've posted to this group about 5 times in the last 3 years.

I get very little of my information directly from Saab. What exactly do you expect them to tell us?

Reply to
Grunff

This statement should be:

If you own a car, check into your tire situation.

It is *your* own responsibility to make sure that your tires/tyres are in a safe state. You can not blame the manufacturer of the car for everything that goes wrong. It is not always "the fault of someone else" even if that seems to be a common mentality in the US at the moment.

Based on your social skills you have shown here, I guess that you will not be missed by them.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

[...]

Happiness all round then...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Happiness all round then...

Reply to
Mark A

I asked because it wouldn't be the first time. Why include Toyota and Honda groups then? (I've chosen to remove them from my followups)

What, that you had bad luck with two tires?

When you go throwing terms around like "criminal", blaming Saab for your blowouts, it's hard to see how that sort of language isn't inviting "snippy comments".

Yes; they should also consider that they could drive down the same roads, with a new Lexxus, Mercedes, Yugo, Trabant, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge and get exactly the same thing.

I must have missed the part about those being Michelin tires; maybe Michelin is French for "Firestone"? One guy whining about 2 tires, does not a trend make. Much more suspect is your car's alignment, driving environment, or tire pressure habits.

Have you talked (calmly) to anyone at Saab about your concerns?

Maybe you should read it again then. I'll clarify the points you chose to avoid.

Any? Wow. Where do you live again that there aren't any potholes?

Oddly, I seem not to be the only one who seems to have formed that opinion.

Indeed.

How is the alignment on your car? You *did* have it checked before throwing words like "criminal" around in a public forum, right?

Further, are you stating that this is a common problem for Saab cars in general, or your year/model in particular? Odd that others have not mentioned it here; people ask about a lot of things, and that's not one of them.

I'll ask again. Are you trying to get something fixed, or are you just trying to blame a carmaker for "criminal" behavior without having, or giving all of the facts?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

If you own a CAR, check your tire situation. Same for bikes, tractors, motorcycles, airplanes, space shuttles, and anything else with an inflatable wheel/tire assembly.

Maybe you came across there as an overbearing prick, too.

So, when are you selling it then?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to