Saab launches Pure BioPower Eco Clothing Collection

Saab has embraced E85 as an alternative fuel in Europe as a way to offer good performance and relatively good emissions using small turbocharged engines. Because ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline, boost pressure can be raised, allowing for a higher specific power output. It also helps that Saab already had a history of being quirky and using turbocharged engines in their vehicles. As an added bonus, it also gets to capitalize on the "green" aspect of the biofuel, and is leaving no... Read More:

----------------------------------- Saab NewsHub: Latest auto news sourced from websites, portals and blogs

sjmmail2000-247

performance and relatively good emissions using small turbocharged engines. Because ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline, boost pressure can be raised, allowing for a higher specific power output. It also helps that Saab already had a history of being quirky and using turbocharged engines in their vehicles. As an added bonus, it also gets to capitalize on the "green" aspect of the biofuel, and is leaving no...

Mostly codswallop, see

"Environmental Impact Although proponents of E85 claim significant environmental benefits, research is showing that the growing and harvesting of corn in the US for use in E85 fuel is most likely damaging the environment and contributing to global warming.[11]"

Reply to
johannes

performance and relatively good emissions using small turbocharged engines. Because ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline, boost pressure can be raised, allowing for a higher specific power output. It also helps that Saab already had a history of being quirky and using turbocharged engines in their vehicles. As an added bonus, it also gets to capitalize on the "green" aspect of the biofuel, and is leaving no...

It was spam to make you go to his/her site and click on adverts :-)

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

good performance and relatively good emissions using small turbocharged engines. Because ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline, boost pressure can be raised, allowing for a higher specific power output. It also helps that Saab already had a history of being quirky and using turbocharged engines in their vehicles. As an added bonus, it also gets to capitalize on the "green" aspect of the biofuel, and is leaving no...

Yes I know. So I didn't look at any adverts. The article is full of Bo****cs. Firstly, the car is hardly Swedish, that was a thing of the past. Turbo charging a smallish petrol engine as a means of improving efficiency is now much more common these days, almost every manufacturer have small engined turbo cars: VW TSI, Fiat T-Jet, Renault TCE; they're all at it these days.

The idea that bio-fuel is "carbon neutral" is also suspect. Yes, I know the standard green argument that because the bio-fuel comes from plants which absorbs CO2, it doesn't add CO2 to the atmosphere.

But wait a minute...! Plants absorb CO2 from all combustion engines, not just the bio-fuelled engines. The plants can't distinguish the source of the CO2. The CO2 volume coming out of the exhaust of a bio-fuel engine is no less than the CO2 from any other combustion engine. Since most engines run on non-bio, it follows logically that most of the CO2 which is trapped by plants, is from non-bio fuelled engines.

In other words, if the bio-fuel is claimed to be carbon neutral, then fossil fuels should be assessed with a considerable CO2 discount, since the plants absorbs CO2 also from that source.

Furthermore, production process of bio-fuel require high energy input; that is CO2 from one source or another.

Reply to
johannes

Bio-fuel is not the panacea once thought. Governments worldwide have realized this and started to put various programs on hold or stop them all together.

Not only are the problems you cited there, but it's resulting in reduced food for consumption and higher food costs to poor countries as well as additional destruction of rain forests for farming (furthering the CO2 problem).

Reply to
still just me

Yup, and I will make sure I don't use it knowingly.

:-) Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

I hope the spammer has learnt not to post his spam to an intelligent ng :-)

Reply to
johannes

Right! :-)

Reply to
Charles C.

I would be happy if SAAB could work on the technology to make a badge that retains color,

Frank

Frank Vuotto