SAAB logo on hood

The SAAB logo on the hood of my car suddenly vanished. I can still see a round metal piece with an imprint of the logo - but it look like plain steel. Is that a sticker of some sort that could have been ripped off by someone? Or is that a metal piece that is glued to the hood? Anyone had similar issues? My suspicion is that it fell off when the car was washed. Can it be replaced? Help appreciated.

Reply to
DrNate

Typical GM Saab logo problem?. Same thing happened to the boot logo of my '95

900SE.
Reply to
MH

Mine did the same thing.

I think you replace the entire emblem.

Greg

Reply to
Greg G

The logo problem appeared sometimes during the 90-ies AFAIK when a new supplier for the logo was chosen (low cost GM approach?). On my MY1997 and 2000 all four logos are already gone, the surface just crack into pieces and disappear and most 6-10 year old Saabs that you see have this "problem". Don't bother to do anything about it, if Saab doesn't want the logo to be seen then why should you care?

Reply to
th

Swedish Motors, Marietta, US, sell adhesive replacements that look very good on my 9000 Aero.

Richard Sutherland-Smith

Yes.

What damn country are you in ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

in article 3ZTph.28973$ snipped-for-privacy@newsb.telia.net, th at snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.se wrote on 12/01/2007 22:29:

My old 1988 C900 had this problem ... Fortunately, it was a silver car and it looked really good IMO :)

The badges are still available with the full SAAB/Scania logotype with Griffin if needed, or just the SAAB and Griffin logo. Carefully pop off the old badge by cushioning a long flat screwdriver on the bonnet and levering it off. It might be stuck on with a little double-sided pad. Once off, clean the area, apply a double-sided pad to the back of the new badge and press on, locating the two pins into the holes (self-explanatory, really).

Voila! New car :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Because it looks like crap, that's why. Here's the cheap fix:

Fred W

Because it looks like crap, that's why. Here's the cheap fix:

Fred W

Gosh, the GM bean-counters were screwing up the logos back in 1988? Amazing what forethought they had.

It amazes me how every little niggling issue with any SAAB is blamed on the GM influence...

Reply to
Fred W

Better use dental floss or nylon fishing line, pull it through under the old badge. It will cut any adhesive and not damage the paint.

Reply to
MH

Yup, I was thinking that too, and waiting for someone to blame the sagging headliner in my 99 on them next.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On mine, the entire badge was intact, but over 20 years had bleached to a white disc inside the metal ring.

And yes it was a silver car too.

Reply to
Elder

in article CIqdnS6TF57yfTXYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Fred W at malt snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 13/01/2007 13:36:

I'm not sure it was GM ... I think it was a gust of wind. I remember a slap on the windscreen (at speed) and thought, "oh, there goes my badge". That was that ... I had a new shiny silver emblem :)

Well, the new 900 was a pretty awful car in just about every respect, let alone compared to its predecessor or its sibling, the 9000, which was a shared platform with _known for reliability_ FIAT :) I jest, of course ... Apart from the first part.

Mind you, I think the steering racks in the C900 were GM parts and that's about the only original part on my car, except for perhaps those screws holding the sill plates down :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 13/01/2007 14:28:

They got yours too? Gosh darn those bean-counters :)

Paul

Vart tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Grrrr! Perhaps you don't know that the 9-3SS and even 9-5 run on FIAT engines!!! The popular 1.9 TiD engine is originally from FIAT and also used in Alfa Romeo and several GM Opel/Vauxhall cars.

Reply to
johannes

in article snipped-for-privacy@sizefitter.com, johannes at snipped-for-privacy@sizefitter.com wrote on 13/01/2007 20:09:

I didn't know that ... How interesting. I was under the impression that the

1.9 TiD was of Opel extraction, so it's interesting to hear that they got it from FIAT. Was that the old 1.9 JTD engine, as fitted to the larger FIATs around 7-10 years ago? Like the Bravo, Brava, Marea and what-not?

A lesser known fact about me is that I am quite the FIAT fan, too. In fact, I have owned as many FIATs as SAABs, but had a long term loan of more than one FIAT, making them more the car that I have driven most. Our other car is a MK1 Punto Sporting (although that is leaving us soon , in favour of a Lotus), which is huge fun. Internal space sits 4x 6' adults quite happily, steering is sharp, it jumps forward when you stab the accelerator and you can slide it with yer bum!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

FIAT invented the common rail injection system for modern diesel engines, this resulted in a leap in performance and economy. There is an article her about FIAT's contribution. Look halfway down the page.

Though I'm not a diesel person, I can see it makes economical sense. But I'm not quite convinced about the pleasure, but maybe one day, kicking and screaming, who knows...

Reply to
johannes

But, back to the logos...

I think the problem is fairly obvious. They paint the logo on chrome. Paint rarely sticks to chrome very well, or for very long.

Reply to
- Bob -

There's a guy selling brand new after-market Saab badges on Ebay but they're a little too large for the size used on the classic 900 hoods, and they don't appear to have the very slight curve to match to hood profile at that point.

I bought one to check it out and the quality is very good - it's proper enamel on a proper cast metal base.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site