Saab must double production...

Looks all the more gloomy for Trollhattan.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Especially when they said the same Saab "design" team responsible for the 9-2 and 9-7 SUV would work on adding "Swedishness" to any new Saab models derived from common GM models. I guess "Swedishness" is just adding a Saab sticker on a GM car or SUV. In my opinion, this does not make it a Saab :-( If I wanted a WRX or a Trailblazer, I would buy one. If I wanted a Saab, I would find a 1993 or older Saab - and I did :-)

If Saab wants to double their sales of newly manufactured cars - bring back the Classic 900 with manual windows and locks. I don't want any crappy GM electronics in my car.

Reply to
ma_twain

Or just the usual US CEO "Give Me More !" message.

chris

chris

No, this is serious if "German sources ...say it was almost certain that Ruesselsheim would produce the Epsilon vehicles."

And then, to add insult to injury: "But GM may make other vehicles in Trollhattan, it added, quoting a company source."

What will they be making there? Subarus?

Reply to
Dima

For the record, my c900 has had exactly 0 problems with its automatic windows and locks. Well, except for one burned out window motor (but that could happen to any car).

John

Reply to
John B

Maybe it's not that bad after all, the article says they may make other models at Trollhattan.

Reply to
WitchDr

Mine had a drivers window quadrant lose a couple of teeth, and central locking that woudl occasionally not lock the passenger door (about twice a year in damp or cold weather). I dropped the knee bolster to replace the brake servo, unplugged the relay, plugged it back in, never happened again.

Not bad for 20 year old "technology".

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

"One option GM has considered is for all Saab models to share architectures with other GM brands, including engines and transmissions, the paper said.

A Saab design team would add "Swedishness" to Saab models derived from other GM divisions and affiliates. It said the same team developed the Saab 9-2 based on the Subaru Impreza and the Saab 9-7 SUV derived from the Chevrolet TrailBlazer."

This to me is the wr>

Craig M. Bobchin

GM couldn't market a shoe. GM should sell SAAB to a private equity firm while it still has value...Maybe that firm could then leverage that SAAB tradition...

Reply to
dxyzc

The reason I said manual windows is because the concept was that Saab/GM would start making the C900 again. The GM side would then try to make use of as many common components, like power windows and lock. By stocking with manual windows and lock, one could avoid crappy GM electronics.

Reply to
ma_twain

Ah, understood.

John

Reply to
John B

Buy 'em up whilst you can !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That's all good except where did you get the idea that GM had crappy electrics? (windows are electric, not electronic) If anything, compared to the SAAB electrics, GM would be an improvement in reliability. ...and I'm a SAAB fan.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

Power Windows has motors, switches, sensors and wiring harnesses. These are what fail, not the window itself. If you are unhappy with Saab power windows, I would have to ask what year Saab you have. If it is 1994 , then you have crappy GM electronic components. I have pre-1994 Saabs and Volvos. The 1986 Saab and 1982 Volvo used the same power locks and I suspect power windows. I don't know about the power windows because I haven't had a problem with them yet - even in the 182 Volvo. The power locks failed because the door was left partial open in a pouring rain and the power lock solenoid was flooded. The person who left the door open did not even apologize. . .

Reply to
ma_twain

GM are simply trying to become the biggest car maker in all their markets - not just in the USA. There is a lot of common-sense sharing components across platforms, but they have bought into Saab and Subaru deliberately to acquire rights to technology each company had developed, so in effect GM is 'stealing' the technology because they couldn't come up with the ideas themselves.

GM should not have bought into Saab at all - Saab as a company wasn't, as far as I know, in any sort of serious financial trouble. But Saab did own a lot of technology that GM wanted. Now GM owns it, and if they spun off Saab it would be without all the technology rights that the company had before GM bought in. So it would just be a shell without any soul. 8-)

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's C900 Site

Its interesting reading this group. You folks seem to bitch about GM much as the Jaguar folks bitch about Ford (own 2 X-Types, 03&04). I was looking into buying a 9-2 awd. Upon finding that it is in reality a Subaru CRX, am sold upon buying the car. Sold SAAB's at 128 Motors in Reading, MA in the late

80's and early 90's. Always appreciated the engineering and slightly over-the-top design of the900 and 9000. Good cars that were somewhat different than what was expected. Felt that the SAAB and Volvo were the best cars made. Owned a graphite 900 Special Racing Group. Great car. Paul
Reply to
taltos

Probably justified in both cases. I don't know how badly they've screwed up Jag, but I _do_ know that GM hasn't been a positive engineering influence for Saab.

Suburu has always had a decent reputation, I just don't think that a marketing badging solution does anything for the Saab brand.

I do miss my 900 Turbo... much more fun to drive than my 9-5.

Reply to
Dave Hinz