Saab parts prices (again)

I would really love to know the reason behind this kind of pricing. My BMW 528i needs a wheel bearing. I can get an OEM one for £26, or a copy for £19.

Quick comparison - same year NG900 - £72 for an OEM bearing.

Why?

Reply to
Grunff

That's vaguely bizarre. Have you got several quotes for the Saab bearing ? What's the genuine Saab price ?

I had to replace my 9000's radiator last year and expected it to be pricey but got several quotes in the £120~130 region. More than I wanted to pay but less than I had expected.

A water pump ( recon ) was only about £40. I was pleasantly surprised.

Maybe the Saab bearing is an oddball size and not made in quantity, whereas the BMW part is a common size used in many vehicles and benefits from 'economy of scale' pricing ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

They want you to switch to BMW?

Reply to
yaofeng

No, just 2 - eurocarparts and local motor factor. I asked in passing, while ordering the bmw bearing.

I've found this to be the case with several other parts when I've made similar comparisons.

Recon is very different though.

I don't think so - bearings are bearings. I believe this is a pricing policy issue.

Reply to
Grunff

Yep, just a standard SKF bearing I believe?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I've never done one on a NG900, but I believe so, yes.

Reply to
Grunff

wheel bearings, races, and oil seals all have international part numbers that can be matched up and supplied by a large variety of "bearing supply" places syuch as Bearng Engineering. Look in the yeallow pages under industrial supplies or even bearings.

they would not be "clones" an any sense of the word since BMW or Chevrolet or Toyota or anything does not make their own bearings but buys them from a supplier such as SKF to the international number. For OEM suppliers, like BMW, that typically overcharge for parts, a bearing supply house can save significant money. For a Toyota, the savings may not be as much.

Reply to
Mac Townsend

Don't you believe it. I don't know what the Toyota Dealerships are like in other parts of the world, but in the UK, it has a name amongst various Toyota owners clubs for different models, ordering parts (getting the fist), or booking in for work (getting the fist, unlubed).

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Hi,

As I came accross this by accident, could it be because the SAAB bearing =

includes something like a hub plate?

Front or rear bearing seem to have an ABS sensor gadget on them.

Regards Charles

--=20

Please remove _removeme_ to reply. Work:

Charles C.

Uhmmmm,

All SAAB bearings with ABS are similarly priced.

Maybe beemer has no abs or different(?) kind of sensors?