SAAB Sonett Kit-Cars?

Hi everyone,

I've found myself falling in love (again) with the SAAB Sonett. This one, in particular:

We didn't get these cars in the UK and they're bound to be rare, globally. Does anyone know if there is a kit-car copy? Would the body panels be easy enough to fabricate? It's a bit of a pipedream, TBH, but I'm just exploring possibilities. Anyone have any structural schematics?

If a kit-car was available, what engine should I run? Personally, I fancy an inline B234T, but normally aspirated B202 with throttle body stacks would be a blast and probably more suited to the car, given the weight. Would a turbo be too much for the car? Should it sound more "throaty" at the intake? I've no idea what these car should feel like to drive, or sound like. It'd be nice to be reasonably authentic, with more modern engineering.

Thoughts?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

The Sonett I. It seems that the molds are still in existence, there are 2 replicas made after the 6 originals . See

MH

Currently, the owner of Sonett I #4 wrote a book about it, on sale on Ebay, item nos 4589485762, 8352693063, 8352694499, 8352695172.

Reply to
MH

As I am told they made new molds and destroyed them after the two replicas was made.

/B

"MH" skrev i meddelandet news:dl5psh$j4s$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.zwoll.ov.home.nl...

Reply to
Blacksmith

It looks pretty similar in size, and probably weight, to the Fisher Fury I'm currently building. The most popular engines for those tend to be around 130 to 160BHP, making for a very fast car. There are a few running silly power from Cosworth turbo engines, which does certainly make for huge straight-line acceleration, but these cars generally turn out to be slower around a track than, say, a well sorted Rover K-series.

If you're after a really quick track car, then a bike engine would probably be the way to go. You might have trouble finding a Saab bike to take it from though!

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Colin Stamp at snipped-for-privacy@stamp.plus.com wrote on 13/11/2005 10:20:

Gosh! The are similar, particularly from the side.

There are SAAB engined BSAs around :)

Reply to
Paul Halliday

I've fancied a Fury for ages - they're lovely cars. If you want too see one in the flesh, get yourself down to Exeter next weekend:

We're going to be there on Saturday, so if you're going, let me know.

Reply to
Grunff

And since the side-pods are separate, you could replace them with louvered aly to make it even more similar...

I didn't know that.

[googles]

Hehe, everyone else tries bike engined cars. It just had to be Saab that tries out car engined bikes :o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

The SAABSA, a BSA bike with a `61 SAAB two stroke engine, owned by Bob Sinclair, formerly of SAAB USA;

carlsson driving it;
Clark working on it;
entirely different one;

MH

/B

That's no good.

Here's the deal, I am sure there are blueprints out there for ALL of Saab's lineups, so molds, etc. can be created and spec'd from those drawings today. So I guess it's not a problem if molds are created and destroyed.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

They must have been pretty quick bikes for their day. Interesting that one has the engine transverse whilst the other doesn't. I wonder what that bloke's doing with the Tech II...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

That "bloke" is Bud Clark, a vintage SAAB guru. He builds fuel injected Ford V4 turbo engines, e.g. for the Sonett. He also owns a Saab Quantum. See the whole image page + text at

MH

MH,

Bob Sinclair wasn't just of SAAB-SCANIA of America Inc., he was the president from 1979-1992

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy